How high do you keep your water level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Approximately high do you keep your water level?

• 16 - 20 centimeters ...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21+ centimeters ...

• 5 - 6 centimeters from top of aquarium

• 9 - 10 centimeters ...

• 11 - 15 centimeters ...

• 4 centimeters from top of aquarium

• 1.5 centimeters from top of aquarium

• Total voters
i think you'd have been better off using inches, most of us are american/english

i keep it above the trim as well

hc8719 said:
i think you'd have been better off using inches, most of us are american/english

i keep it above the trim as well

Second that. I grew up in Canada and work in the US. Unfortunately I use mm or inches in my work and have no concept of centimeters. Sounds weird but its true.

I live in Texas... but since CM are closer together, I decided to use that. Besides, its easier to work with! Its just that Americans will think its hard because they are used to using the customary system.
I keep mine at 1.5 cm.

I keep it above the black trim. Didn't vote on the poll because it doesn't say where we should measure from. Do you mean from the bottom of the black trim? Top?

docrak said:
Second that. I grew up in Canada and work in the US. Unfortunately I use mm or inches in my work and have no concept of centimeters. Sounds weird but its true.

What's hard?
10mm = 1cm

Anyway i keep it 5cm from the top of the glass.
Enough to cover the filter output.

hc8719 said:

Yes well, maybe. However all but three countries in the world today are metric, so it's a good start for the future :)

Esra said:
docrak said:

What's hard?
10mm = 1cm

Anyway i keep it 5cm from the top of the glass.
Enough to cover the filter output.

I'm just trying to imagine the filter output you have that is 2 inches bellow the top of the glass.

My point is that even though you can spend time easily converting, cm is not a regularly used unit. The meter is the general base unit in metric. Millimeters are used as general convention in engineering work. Centimeters and Decimeters are generally not used anywhere but school. Just to prove my point go to the Eheim website. All metric length dims are given in mm.

http://www.eheim.com/pro2.htm

Volume is measured in CCs (Cubic Centimeters) 1cc = 1ml

It's weird how standard convention works.

I keep it as high as possible. Not only do I think it looks better, it keeps my snails from laying clutches too frequently.

amosf said:
hc8719 said:

Yes well, maybe. However all but three countries in the world today are metric, so it's a good start for the future :)

lmao... i keep it as high as possible so .5 cm. if it's gets any lower the water in my filter starts to splash too much.

I've got labyrinth fish, so I need extra room at the top. The snails also like to be out of the water sometimes.

Mine depends. My tank right now is losing about 4-5 gallons in a week before PWC because it is so dry here. Up from about 3 gallons a week. (55gl tank) Just today I did my regular PWC for the week. I leave it about not even 1/2inch below the trim. This is not much room for my snail as he likes to go to the top to get some air and at times will even sit half way out of the water for a bit. The water is evap. so fast that in a few days he will have plenty of room.

I have do add a gallon here and there between PWC because the water is evap. so bad right now.

If I had no snail I would fill it above the trim a little. I do not like seeing the water level either.

My 10gl with just a betta I keep to the trim but in a day or two it is down as well.

Hmm still wondering if we will even have snow for winter!!!! (Live in the midwest) its 50F here today LOL

Back
Top Bottom