How important is pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
As the thread title states, how important is pH? I am concerned that the pH in my aquarium is too high and is affecting the overall wellbeing of my aquarium.

If the water I use in my aquarium is always going to be high then, that would mean that every water change I would have to add the downer to keep it at the appropriate level? Also, if I am going to try and get the pH down then I should do it gradually?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless your pH is below 6.5 or above 8.5 there really is no need to worry. 99% of the fish we keep will adapt to pH in that range.

Caleb

I use the API master test kit and the pH is definitely above 7 I just don't know exactly how high above 7 it is.

My ph consistently stays at 8.0 in my 75 gallon. Its not really an issue like Caleb said as long as it stays consistent and isn't above 8.5. Fish will adapt. You don't want to constantly add chemicals to your water.

Zack

I use the API master test kit and the pH is definitely above 7 I just don't know exactly how high above 7 it is.

Master test kit goes to like 8.2-8.4 range (without looking at my kit for reference) I believe. If you are on the chart it is fine.

Caleb

Ok thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom