How important is water hardness.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
For the typical bettas, tetras, etc how important is water hardness? Of all the things to worry about on water condition where does this one rank?

from what i understand water hardness can be elevated or low based on many different things. PH/ GH/ & KH are all different types of measurements of different types of hardness or acidity. There are only 2 things that I know of that i will mention.

#1 A stable PH is better than an optimum one. I.E. if your municipality has harder water, then using chemicals to adjust it is more stressful on the fish than just letting them adapt to the condition of the water. There are some natural recourse to low and raise it, but unless it could be harmful to your fish I wouldn't worry about it.

#2 In a planted tank, you need some KH so that your water will buffer the PH so the CO2 injection doesn't drop it to dangerous levels. This can be explained further if you have, or are looking at getting into a planted tank.

What is your PH reading?

You need SOME hardness to keep pH stable. Pure water (distilled, R/o) don't have any buffer & the pH crash easily. Best to have at least a KH of 2-3 in all tanks.

Low hardness tanks lack carbonate (KH), and can have a tendency fo pH swings. High KH water tends to have a high but stable pH, a condition that most fish in your area will have adapted to. Thus, I think it is easier to keep a tank with a higher KH than a lower KH.

As long as the water isn't so soft that it has no buffering capacity (thus making the pH unstable), or you're dealing with wild-caught specimens that need conditions identical to that found in nature, it's not one of the more important things to consider.

I completely agree with the above stated. Water hardness should be the least item to worry about. A stable environment is best for most all fish, as they can adapt very easily.

The only other thing is hardness does play a bit of a roll if you are breeding fish. Some just won't breed if the hardness is either too hard or too soft. But other than that, it's really unimportant. The key is Stability.

Some of you are confusing KH and GH. Hardness is GH not KH.

KH has nothing to do with how hard the water is. It has everything to do with pH buffering though so you are right that you need some, 3 is the lowest that is considered safe.

If water is soft its because it has a low GH. Its acidic because it has a low KH which in turn means a low pH.

GH- general hardness ( Ca/Mg )
KH- alkalinity

IceH2O said:

KH has nothing to do with how hard the water is. It has everything to do with pH buffering though so you are right that you need some, 3 is the lowest that is considered safe.

If water is soft its because it has a low GH. Its acidic because it has a low KH which in turn means a low pH.

KH- alkalinity

Well, yes & no. KH is also call carbonate hardness, and it does have something to do with GH.

For most people, high GH is associated with a high KH. The Ca/Mg in the water must be associated with an anion, and for most it is CO3 or HCO3 (ie KH). It is possible to have high GH & low KH (eg having CaCl2 in the water) but that is uncommon.

All of this is academic, however. For the fishies, pH stability is key. For that, you need adaquate buffers. You have to have either adaquate KH, or an added buffer of your choice. The actual GH or KH number really is not that important.

jsoong said:
IceH2O said:

KH- alkalinity

Well, yes & no. KH is also call carbonate hardness, and it does have something to do with GH.

For most people, high GH is associated with a high KH. The Ca/Mg in the water must be associated with an anion, and for most it is CO3 or HCO3 (ie KH). It is possible to have high GH & low KH (eg having CaCl2 in the water) but that is uncommon.

All of this is academic, however. For the fishies, pH stability is key. For that, you need adaquate buffers. You have to have either adaquate KH, or an added buffer of your choice. The actual GH or KH number really is not that important.
I completely agree. The key is stability, which means having an adaquate buffer. But as for the numbers, as long as you are above the minimum safe levels, the numbers don't mean alot except in cases I stated above like breeding difficult fish, etc. But for fish health, stability is most important. Fish will adapt just fine to it's environment if it's healthy and stable.

I have a GH/KH test kit, but I've only used it like 3 times lol I never test for it honestly, I'm not recommending that to you since your water is obviously different from mine, but mine rarely changes

If your water hardness is on the high end I would not worry about it. My water has a KH of 16 degrees. Obviously my GH is higher but I don't test that. Most people here probably don't even have half that. I have kept bettas in that for many years. And I am currently keeping tetras and they are fine. They just may never breed.

If your water hardness is on the low end it might be something to worry about due to PH instability. But I've never had this problem so I can't recomend anything.

Back
Top Bottom