How is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I was debating on my stocking list on my 55g. I was going to add a school or harley rasboras, and a school of scissortail rasboras, but have gone and changed my mind again lol.

The stock was:
1 silver hatchet
1 GBR
1 ghost shrimp
1 angel
1 rubberlip pleco
2 dojo loaches
2 female bettas
2 platies
4 clown loaches
4 emerald cories

I noticed that most of my activity was on the bottom of the tank, and I needed something to liven up the top half. (hence where the rasboras came in)

However, I knew that my school of 6 tiger barbs was going to soon outgrown their 20g tall tank. Soooo, here goes chasing fish around for 30 minutes (i did really well lol). All of the barbs were taken out of the 20g and put in a bucket while I chased everyone in the 55 around.

Now my 55 consists of:
1 ghost shrimp
1 rubberlip pleco
2 dojo loaches
4 clown loaches
6 tiger barbs

The rest of the fish that were in the 55 are now temporarily in the 20g (those were all the fish that I was concerned about getting along with the barbs)

I want to add a few green tiger barbs, and a few albino tiger barbs. I also wanted to add one more clown loach. Does this sound like a good stocking plan? How many of each barb can I add?

And yes, I know that the clowns will outgrown the 55g, and I have already planned a 150g purchase for when that happens. But for now, they are all less than 5". and are perfectly happy where they are. Once they start getting bigger than 6", I will start making room for a 150g tank.

Sorry so long, and TIA for any advice you guys can give me.

the hatchet fish is a schooling fish ( just thought to point that out) and they can go with the barbs, I have cherry barbs (and had tiger barbs) with my betta and guppies, I dont think they will bother the hatchets!

I know...i had four, but the rest of them died in a water change (not sure exactly what hapened there, they were the only ones that died), and I just don't really want to replace them.

I just have heard a lot of bad things about how tigers are terrible fin nippers, and don't want to take the chance with their fins.

I have cherry barbs (and had tiger barbs) with my betta and guppies, I dont think they will bother the hatchets!
Tiger barbs are known to be nippy. Cherry barbs are not. I doubt the tiger barbs would nip the hatchet, but it could stress it out. Being the only one of its kind will stress it out and also the constant action of the tiger barbs could add to the hatchet's stress. Tiger barbs are extremely active fish.

Its great that you moved the tiger barbs to the 55g. They will appreciate the extra room. :)

If you are planning a 150g for the clown loaches, I don't see a problem with adding one more. The bottom level will be very active, but I don't see how one more addition will cause any immediate problems.

Yea, i figured they would, especially since they are starting to get bigger now. They really do seem to appreciate it. They have been all over the place tonight.

I had always heard that they were nippers, and yea, i could see how they would freak out the hatchets. They do scare easy.

I love how the bottom of my tank is. I may replace the cories with some Upside down cats. And when I upgrade, all these fish will move into the larger tank, and I might add a few more. I have plans for this 55 and that move already (african cichlid tank)

Any ideas on how many more barbs i can add?

I think its safe to add 4 more...maybe even 6 more. If they are the only school in the tank, I think 12 of them would be fine in a 55g.

yea, they would be the only school. Could I get away with 8 more? or should I draw the line at 6? (i am wanting four green tiger barbs and four albino tiger barbs in addition to the exhisting 6 tigers)

I had 15 barbs, mix of green and tigers, in my 55gal w/o any issues. With that many, mine schooled pretty tight most of the time. I kept mine with yoyo's, kribs, and a red-tailed shark.

Back
Top Bottom