How is this fish combo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
The fish I have are in my sig. I forgot to mention I have a snail that snuck in on one of the live plants my mom picked up. My mom would also like to add more neons once we get the water to where these picky little guys will like it, and maybe a couple more danios. My mom also wants a larger snail soon, but other than that. I don't think I will get anymore fish anytime soon. So what do you guys think?

Common plecos get big.. depending on the type 12-15"
I have no idea on the eel.. or the dragonfish (im not quite sure I know what exactly that is)

Well I will try to get some pictures, but yea I've heard they get big. I heard it takes a good 2-3 years though... I should be alright for about a year right? The eel and dragonfish won't get over a foot long I dont think. Which could be a problem in the future, but I think they take a long time to grow to full size as well.

so what will you do when the pleco and the other large fish get to their full size? do you have plans for a bigger tank?

zenkatydid said:
so what will you do when the pleco and the other large fish get to their full size? do you have plans for a bigger tank?

I will probably try to sell the pleco to someone, or maybe donate it to a fish store. Although, I am living with my parents right now, and I might just keep the 55 gallon tank here. I would love to have a 90 gallon or so when I move out. I would keep the larger fish and give them a good home in a large tank. But it could be two years before they get way too big, so I guess we'll see what happens when the time comes.

mr86mister said:
it is possible that the eel or the dragonfish will eat the neons

Yea, I thought of this at first. However, their mouthes are already big enough to fit the neons in their mouthes, but no troubles so far. The dragonfish eyes are so small that I don't know if it could catch a quick neon. I'm not sure if the eel would eat a neon... I guess I'll find out :\ I don't wanna develop MTS anytime soon...

Based on your driscription of the 'dragonfish's' eyes being 'so small', I am guessing that what you have are violet gobies, which will get a good 18"+ in time, but without ideal conditions [cool (70ºF-74ºF), brackish water and dim lighting], chances are they will not live long enough to exceed 10".

Your eel, on the other hand, will do just fine (with good water conditions and quality frozen food or live feeder guppies) and will eventually have a go at your neons.

bah oh well... Maybe I can find a way to miracle grow my neons into large 10" versions. But yes... I've seen them called violet gobies before too. As long as they act alright and happy (well i don't think they ever look happy lol) I think I'll be fine with keeping them for just a year or so... I don't need them to stick around for 5+ years anyway.

I had no idea they liked cold water... I just knew they needed some salt because of the brackish water they are used to. I got the salt part fine. I did find out that they either like 1 or multiple and I have 2... so I either need to find someone who wants one, or maybe I should just buy more lol

brackish water fish do better with marine salt.. FYI I dont think it would be good for FW fish to be with brackish fish for this reason alone..

Well I might try to sell my dragonfish... or if they don't survive the next 2 months I have 90 days to return them to walmart and get my money back if they die. I'll go to some fish stores and see what they'll give me for them. I kind of wanna get some more eels though. My eel loves floating to the top of the water in my bubble stone and swimming down and floating back up. Funny fish...

I don't think a 90 gallon will be big enough for two common plecos. A 180 gal should be sufficient. Have you tested to see how high your salinity is. Aquarium salt should not be used for salt. The dragonfish should die pretty soon because its requirements are not met. If I were you, I would not get anymore eels. I hope you have a sandy substrate, eels like to bury themselves and gravel might hurt it.

The dragon fish would be perfectly ok for a few months but then they develop a white skin slime and die if not kept in brackish conditions.

Dragon fish (violet goby or dragon gobies) will be okay with your neons because well...they can't barely even see. They are so peaceful that they are normally kept with bumblebee gobies. I can't exactly remeber how they eat but they are a type of sand sifter. They rake out food with theyre tiny little teeth.

If they arent moved to brackish conditions they will develop that slime or plain out get a variety of diseases that never seem to just go away. (most common are eye fungus type stuff,white slime,and sores.)

Your peacock eel will probably try to eat your neons...it may seem like it has a small mouth but it gets huge lol. Don't worry about it getting too big for your tank either...theyre usual size from what iv've seen is 6-8 inches.

I have gravel in my tank, and yea the eel has buried itself many times... I would think if it hurt him that he wouldnt do it as often as he does. Maybe I should get another tank for the dragon fish. Maybe a 29 gallon or something? I would really actually like to keep them.

mrcrazypants05 said:
Maybe I should get another tank for the dragon fish. Maybe a 29 gallon or something? I would really actually like to keep them.

I would go 40-45....remember, these are eventually 24" fish.

Back
Top Bottom