How large a QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How large of a quarantine tank do you have?

Living in an apartment doesn't give me all that much room to set up too many tanks, and I already have a 20g high and am cycling a 10g tank. Today, I bought a 2.5g acrylic hex tank kit with the intention of using it as a QT, if necessary. Is that too small for me to consider using as one?

Could be small if you plan to QT for a long period of time, ideally for 4 weeks. Because in just 2.5G you won't be able to properly quaretine a medium size fish, or a group of school either.

But it's just my opinion.

The tank that I designate as QT is an old 29gal that I had with no lid or lights, I've added a filter, heater and light. No substrate, just a few rocks.

My inadvertent QT is a 2.5gal, which is currently QTing a batch of Endler's. I wouldn't dare put anything larger than an Endler in there. It was/will be a hospital tank.

So, back to the question. I would say a 2.5gal IS too small for QTing anything bigger than 0.5." I do struggle though to keep it cycled when nothing's living in it... IDK, maybe I should keep a few fish in there just to keep it cycled?

As for space, I live in a small apartment too. My 29gal is in my laundry room, and my 2.5gal is in my kitchen :)

My laundry room IS my kitchen. :p

Perhaps what I should have asked was if a 2.5g was good enough for a hospital tank, since that's what I was thinking of using it for, not a QT tank. I don't have the room to store fish in a tank for a month before adding them to their permanent home.

If all else fails, I could either return the tank, or use it as a shrimp tank I guess.

hospital tank, not quarantine tank

So, a 2.5 gallon could work for a hospital tank perhaps?

I honestly was thinking of hospital tank and not quarantine tank when I started this thread. Ooops.

So, a 2.5 gallon could work for a hospital tank perhaps?

I think it really depends what type of fish might be hospitalized. If it's a very small fish and you'd only be putting one or two in there, it's probably fine if it's filtered enough.

If you have larger fish, and you might be hospitalizing a few at a time, I'd say no, it's not big enough.

If you can, I'd return it and exchange it for something bigger.

Hmmm.

The majority of the fish I'm looking at are not very big. Black neon tetras, cardinal tetras, and a fish to be named later (either cherry barbs or the african banded barb).

The only other fish that could be an issue would be the one or two rams that I plan to add to my 20g high.

The rest will all be shrimp.

I thought the same thing when I got a 2.5 for a QT/hospital tank. But if you don't have a large DT, you can't really be getting large fish, so why get a large QT?
I understand your situation; as long as it's short-term, like intended, it shouldn't be an issue IMO.

It might be pushing it a bit if I ever had to put a GBR in a 2.5g hospital tank, but I think I'll keep it for the intended purpose.

I did find a great filter to use with the tank: Tom's Aquarium Products mini internal filter. I'm thinking about running it either on my 20g high or 10g to build up bacteria in it. That way, I can move it to the hospital tank with the sick fish as needed.

Tom Aquarium Products Mini Internal Filter - Fish - Free Ship - PetSmart

I wish I could find a reliable, but small, heater to use as well. I did buy and try a Marina C10, but it barely even heats the water at all.

How large of a quarantine tank do you have?

Living in an apartment doesn't give me all that much room to set up too many tanks, and I already have a 20g high and am cycling a 10g tank. Today, I bought a 2.5g acrylic hex tank kit with the intention of using it as a QT, if necessary. Is that too small for me to consider using as one?
I am currently using a 5gal as a QT. Right now I have 2 danios & 2 cories in it. Honestly, I wish I had a 10gal because the danios need the swimming room even though they aren't very big yet. If necessary I will use it as a hospital tank in the future, but considering I see 5gal as small (my main tank is 46gal) I can't imagine using a 2.5gal for quarantine unless it's only for like 1-2 fish at a time - hospital tank purposes, maybe, depending upon how large a fish you're talking but you'd have to be diligent about keeping it clean.

Back
Top Bottom