How long can aquarium safely go without power?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdrone

Aquarium Advice Regular
I lost power early Monday morning due to the big storms that rolled through Chicagoland. I'm now told that I won't get power back until Friday afternoon.

I've got a 20 gallon high tank with a gold gourami, a tiger barb, 5 red tailed tetras, and 3 cory catfish.

On Monday, the house stayed relatively cool and the aquarium temp stayed about 76 degrees. The house got up to about 79 degrees, and the aquarium temp was steady. After it got hot yesterday, I opened up the house overnight to take advantage of lower overnight temps. This morning, the aquarium had dropped to 71 degrees. For whatever reason, the aquarium is now cooler than the house temperature.

Any guesses as whether or not my fish will survive until Friday with no heat and no filter?

I'd be more worried about filtration than temp (this time of year anyways). I'd suggest 2x daily 50% PWC, with water that is around 79-80 degrees (gas water heater?) and dose the water conditioner for the volume in the tank, not just what you're swapping out.

I don't think you'll have issues with the lack of heat... since the changes aren't dramatic, that shouldn't be a problem (they do change in nature afterall). My concern would be with the lack of surface agitation. You definitely need to watch them for rapid gill movement. If they look like they're struggling to get enough oxygen, stir up the water, splash it, something like that. If you have a batter powered fan to clip on to the tank and disturb the surface, that'll help. Or a battery powered air pump.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'd be more worried about filtration than temp (this time of year anyways). I'd suggest 2x daily 50% PWC, with water that is around 79-80 degrees (gas water heater?) and dose the water conditioner for the volume in the tank, not just what you're adding.

Also, get that media in some water FAST.

I wouldn't be so quick to do water changes. Your biggest issue is keeping your filter media wet and keeping enough oxygen in the tank.

Doing a water change at this point could actually be detrimental because tap water often has low o2 levels. The toxin level shouldn't go insane in a matter of 2 days, but I would hold off on feeding till friday and wait it out.

I'd test the water and act accordingly.

If you do decide that a water change is necessary, I'd aerate the water in a bucket before adding it, agitating it by hand for a few minutes will work. You can also agitate the water in the tank by hand to help keep the water from going stagnant.

One other option is going to the fishing department of a store and getting a battery powered air bubbler.

Just a question related to this...on another site (I'm loyal to AA, just browsing the other, lol), I actually saw one of the moderators tell someone that any media in a canister filter will die within 12 hours due to oxygen starvation. I usually would have wrote it off, but since it was a mod with 12,000 posts...I thought it'd be worth asking about in case the OP is running a canister. Any experience with this as it relates to power outages?

BTW, this same mod told the poster to add Seachem Stability during each water changes "as everyone should"...so I tend to take their info with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
no, it's not true, and actually kind of silly imo. (I probably know who you are talking about, the only thing you can do is ask for some sort of testing or proof, which there obviously is none because its total conjecture)

I could see the bacteria in a canister dying quicker than the bacteria in an HOB, due to the enclosed system.... but 12 hours? Nah... a couple days, maybe. Without some solid tests, it would be purely an opinionated statement.

I have an Aquafilter, so the filter media is still submerged in water. I hadn't thought of the bacteria dying, though, that would be a serious problem.

I didn't notice rapid gill movement this morning; I can certainly see that some kind of water movement would help.

I'm not sure twice daily water changes are really possible - I still have to go to work! heh.

I can't really think of a way to aerate the water without power, except by stirring it by hand. That's certainly something to keep in mind; I could at least do that in the morning and a few times in the evening.

sdrone said:
I have an Aquafilter, so the filter media is still submerged in water. I hadn't thought of the bacteria dying, though, that would be a serious problem.

I didn't notice rapid gill movement this morning; I can certainly see that some kind of water movement would help.

I'm not sure twice daily water changes are really possible - I still have to go to work! heh.

I can't really think of a way to aerate the water without power, except by stirring it by hand. That's certainly something to keep in mind; I could at least do that in the morning and a few times in the evening.

An airstone maybe? You could put one in the filter too to keep it oxygenated.

Jetajocky: you know, I had wondered. I've been feeding very small amounts, but yeah you're right I should cut the food.

Once power is back on Friday I'll need to do immediate water changes. I wonder if I should pick up a cheapie aerator.

For that matter, I wonder if there's such a thing as a battery operated aerator.

Hey Sdrone, I felt that storm too, I am up in Kenosha. We got something just as bad up here about two weeks ago and I was 48 hours without power and the fish were fine in there. My neighbor ended up with power first so I asked, and he accepted, that I run an extension cord from his house to power my fish tank. I did one partial water change after about 24 hours just to be on the safe side but otherwise they were all hanging out at the top. I have a canister filter and it after all was back on there was no stress to the fish at all. Also Sdrone you can get one from a tackle shop, they have them for the bait buckets and they are battery powered.

All good tips listed above but wanted to say I got pounded in the same storm and lost power Monday and just came back on around 3:30 this morning. I house mostly large messy cichlids and my battery powered air pumps were running off deep cycle batteries from my boat the last 48hrs a definite wise investment in our area, plus I'm on a well so no power no water! Kinds felt like a hillbilly with car batteries all over but it saved hundreds of fish. The cheapest place is Bass Pro Shop for what I'm using.

Last edited:
You can always use a livewell aerator which you can find at any fishing store or even walmart. They're battery operated and last for days.

Do a PWC in the morning before work, then one in the evening. Ammonia is gonna build up and become an issue, even if you do cut back on feeding. Not sure if the Aquafilter is an HOB, but pouring some of the fresh water into it should help keep the oxygen level up to save some/most of the bacteria IMO.

As for how long bacteria can live, I've seen from 2-72hrs. I tend to think 48hrs is a more reasonable time period.

So I should check a couple of places; the big pet shops and the fishing sections of sporting goods stores.

Bass Pro Shop is about an hour from me; a bit far. Wait, there's Cabela's west of me; I bet they'd have the thing you're talking about. So I'm looking for an aerator in the fishing section, right?

I do see battery operated aquarium air pumps on the web, but really only at online stores.

I checked Walmart and don't see battery powered ones on their website. But they're close, so I'll hit them then Cabela's after work.

If worse came to worse, they sell battery powered pumps at Walmart used to inflate mattresses and things while camping. It's not ideal and the sound would rattle the house...but they're cheap and may be a good option while you're at work.

sdrone said:
So I should check a couple of places; the big pet shops and the fishing sections of sporting goods stores.

Bass Pro Shop is about an hour from me; a bit far. Wait, there's Cabela's west of me; I bet they'd have the thing you're talking about. So I'm looking for an aerator in the fishing section, right?

I do see battery operated aquarium air pumps on the web, but really only at online stores.

Yes correct, you can just go to walmart and go to the fishing section as well.

They're not really meant for aquaruims they're more for keep baits alive in your livewell during fishing

Back
Top Bottom