How long can filters stay off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just did a water change and redecorated the tank. In doing so, I mixed up the sand so I turned off my filters until it settles. But, long long can they be off until the fish are harmed from no water flow?

Thanks guys! I'm sitting here debating which filter I'll run and risk damaging because I don't want my fish to suffer ;).

I'll give it 2-4 hours with a close eye on things.

If it helps every other week I remove all my decor and give the sand a real good stirring up to vacuum.This takes me about 2 hours and all is fine so you should be ok

make sure you keep the media wet though... don't want any good bacteria drying out. ;)

Good points about keeping media wet and using a sponge, thanks! Garfy, when you turn back on your filters is the sand still a little unsettled or is it completely settled?

Wow, only a few hours is fine?

My filter broke down for a night and I had no other air stones or anything. I figured it was fine. Now im feeling pretty sad because i guess my fish (i only had 2 danios in my tank at the time) were probably super stressed. :(

Back
Top Bottom