How long can the beneficial bacteria on a filter sponge live it's mailed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys.

I moved to the US a while ago, and I started to miss the tank I used to have back home. On the weekend I bought a 5 gallon and set it up, with a couple of plants. One of my good online friends who lives in another state offered to send me filter sponge from one of her old tanks. If it was packed it in a Ziploc bag with water/damp paper towels and sealed well, could she mail it to me? If it's out of the tank but still wet, how long will the good bacteria live, does anyone know?

Thanks!

I've mailed it a few times successfully, as long as it stays wet it should be fine in the mail for 6days, Baring any exposure to extreme Temps ofcourse

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It should be good as long as it doesn't get too cold and it stays wet. You'll probably have to build up the bacteria colony to an acceptable level for fish, but is much better than scratch.

I have a ten gallon that I put 5ml of pure ammonia in every so often to keep it cycled.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got a large (maybe 5" cuned) seeded sponge from Angels Plus, it was in a fish bag with about a half cup of water and it cycled my entire 75 gallon tank within 24 hours. It arrived 2 days after I ordered it.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bacteria is surprisingly good qith temperatures. As long as it doesnt hit over 110ish degrees it should be fine. Bacteria even survive freezing quite well.

I got a large (maybe 5" cuned) seeded sponge from Angels Plus, it was in a fish bag with about a half cup of water and it cycled my entire 75 gallon tank within 24 hours. It arrived 2 days after I ordered it.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Same thing happened to me and my 75. I got a sponge and my tank cycled fast.:dance:

Awesome! Thanks, you guys.
Um. She said that it comes from a tank that has BBA, although the sponge itself doesn't have anything on it, is that something I should be worried about or just something that's sort of inevitable to come into contact with anyway?

Back
Top Bottom