Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long does it take, on average, for a fish to get used to a new tank?

In general of course, Im sure there will be diferentes between species. By getting used to, I refer to swimming around normally, start feeding, and any other you can think of.

Youtube Channel: https://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresdeo
In general of course, Im sure there will be diferentes between species. By getting used to, I refer to swimming around normally, start feeding, and any other you can think of.
In my experiences, all my fish have started eating within 4 or 5 days depending on the species. Some will eat right away. New fish take a little time to get used to the tank. Like the new kid at school, they act very vulnerable usually until they get used to things. It may take a week or two for the fish to be comfortable in his new home.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

From experience, it depends on what fish you are adding
and what fish you currently have stocked in the aquarium (schooling peaceful tetras will help relax the new fish).

I have also found that tanks with lots of plants, decorations and hiding places - the NEW fish settles in really quickly.

But to answer your question, it takes a few days for the new fish to "fully" settle in.
I find feeding your tank helps coax the new fish. The new fish will see the other fishes eating and feel safer and more at ease.

Tags
long, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com