How long should i wait before adding new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nancylm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
To make a long story very short, I had a very simple cold water tank (10g, 2 goldfish, 1pleco, 1 Betta) going for over a year before I knew none of that was right. When I found out, I separated the fish, heated one tank, gave all the fish more room and thought I was doing the right thing. The warm tank looked pretty empty so I bought a few neons to add to it. They brought fungus and ick with them. My tank was crazy for a while but I treated it and it has been fine now for about a month. Water is perfect, fish are healthy. The only thing I have added are plants from a store that does not mix their fish and plants.

This tank is 12g, heated, and has 5 neon tetras, 2 amazon swords, 1 tall grassy plant (giant hair grass or something like that) and a bunch of smaller plants I don't know the name of.

I feel like 12g could handle more fish but I am worried about upsetting the balance. How long would you wait? How would you introduce new fish? What would go well with neons? I was thinking of some fancy guppies and a couple ghost shrimp and maybe some snails to help keep the rank clean. Maybe a betta?. But I am very open to suggestions.

I was just on aqadvisor.com to check if I could put a trio of corydoras in my 12 gallon. =) It will have a few guppies swimming around up top and I thought a few bottom dwellers will make it more lively.
So I'm in the same boat. =)
I like that you can put in your tank size on that site and it'll give a list of suitable species for it.

Back
Top Bottom