How long to leave algae wafers in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
Two or three times a week I put an algae wafer in my CPD/pygmy cory tank. They will all happily pick at it for hours but how long is it actually ok to leave in the tank before I remove whatever is left?

This depends on what you're comfortable with. For example: I have an army of snails, so every thing I drop in the tank is consumed entirely.

Some would say 24 hours, others shorter/longer. This time period is all an effort to prevent the formation of nitrates, as leftover food is the main culprit of excess nitrogen in the tank.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Two or three times a week I put an algae wafer in my CPD/pygmy cory tank. They will all happily pick at it for hours but how long is it actually ok to leave in the tank before I remove whatever is left?

Out of interest do you ever see them go bad and get fungus or anything on them?

Mine as well get eaten within 15 minutes, they don't last very long.

Algae Wafers

Hello The...

The wafer will dissolve in the tank water, like everything else. Just remove and replace the water on a routine basis and you remove whatever has dissolved in the water.

Pretty simple.

B

Its easiest to just break them into smaller pieces that your tank can handle. That way you won't have to worry about them going uneaten and fouling the water.

Thanks for the info. I never see them go bad, i just worry about water quality. Think I'll start removing whatever is left at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom