How long to sex new babies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlatyLady

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why is it that whenever I have platy babies and guppy babies, they always look female to start off with? I am always in disbelief when I 'discover' that they are male. How old do they have to be before I can definitely tell their sex?

I believe they can be sexed at 3-4 weeks, with the males having the modified anal fin, or gonopodium. I have been searching on this issue because I have 2-week-old molly fry and they all appear to have the anal fin of a female. They develop relatively quickly, though, and start mating at 3-4 months. Happy spawning!

2 of my platies are too young to sex, even tho they are already 2cm/ almost an inch in size. That's the way most of the platies in the store were, nearly all looked like female, except for a couple of bigger ones that were starting to have a visible gonopodium. I'm pretty sure these platies are older than 4 weeks. I first saw them 2 weeks ago, and they were already almost this size then.

I think that where the fry are raised plays a big part as to when you can sex the fry. If they are raised in a breeder trap it may take a few months to sex them, where if they are raised in a larger tank, it may only take the 3-4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom