How long to wait after adding Bio-Spira?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I know I've read to wait at least an hour and not more than 24 - are there any parameters to follow other than that?

I'm finishing working nights at work tonight so I will be off tomorrow. My plan is to make a final check of the water when I arrive home in the morning and then add the bio-spira. I will sleep for a few hours and then head to the lfs. So, from the time I add the bio-spira to the time I add the fish will probably be about 6-7 hours. OR, I could add the bio-spira b/4 heading to the lfs and that would make the wait time about 2 hours. I'll be putting 3 oz. in a 55 gal. tank so there should be plenty of bacteria. I'll be doing a S.American Cichlid tank but I even contemplated throwing in a couple of large gold fish to really kick off the ammonia - would that be animal cruelty?

I generally don't wait at all.

First time I used it I did tho; I was doing a fishless cycle and it had stalled (ammonia was converted overnite, but nitrites were thru the roof). I added Bio-Spira, waited overnight for it to chew up some of the nitrites, did a big water change and added the fish. Have never seen nitrites or ammonia in the tank since.

Second time I added it to my 55g that I was moving my guys into. The only wait time was between netting the fish out of the 25g and putting them into the 55g. I also added the bio-wheel from the 25g, so I assume that helped as I never saw any ammonia or nitrites there either.

I used it again tonite. I actually netted the fish into the QT and then put in the Bio-Spira; we'll see if it makes any difference, although I doubt it.

Personally I wouldn't wait at all. Those bacteria are going to come out hungry; best to have something for them to eat asap. I'd prob add it right before the trip to the lfs if you want to wait a little bit; the less time between adding it and the fish, the better. Btw, does the lfs have the fish you plan on adding?

That sounds like good advice.
Yes, the lfs does have some of the fish I am looking for - I'm going to that great one I've mentioned b/4, Fishland here in Houston.

I don't think they have every species on my list but I have a little flexibility built in. Plus I checked Petsmart and they have some of the Severums which are top on my list. I want a gold for sure and maybe a green (banded). I was also considering a Texas Severum but they are supposed to be a bit more aggressive; however, the ones they have at Petsmart are fairly small, so I think if the others are a decent size, I may try one of them as well - pretty fish.

I will also be adding a Sailfin Pleco, 3 or 4 Clown Loaches and possilbly a Rainbow Cichlid or a Fesitvum Cichlid - if I can find either. Does that sound like too much of a load for a 55 gal (if I were to actually find all those I mentioned?)

How many of the cichlids were you planning on? I'm not quite clear on that one. I've 5 angelfish, 3 clown loaches and a plec in my 55g and thats pretty close to topping out the bioload.

Probably about 4-5 cichlids (Severums included), 3 clown loaches, and a pleco. Some of that will depend on the size of the fish at the time of purchase too. I want to make sure the compatability is going to be there as well as making sure they have enough room to grow to full size over time. I think any more than that and they just won't have enough room to grow.

Well, I did not get exactly what I planned, but I think I'm off to a good start. I picked up two firemouth's, 2 lemon (electric) yellows - yes I know these are African, and a sailfin pleco. I got the Pleco from the same tank as the yellow's since they seemed to be doing so well together already!

I'm going to go tomorrow to get a banded severum, and the 3 clown loaches. Unfortunately, no one around has a decent looking Gold Severum right now. The lfs where I did my shopping today sold their last one this mornining - oh well, and the one's at Petsmart seem to have poor coloring. They are pretty small though, do the Gold Severums change much in appearance as they mature? I guess all the one's I've seen before were alread fairly large. The Green (banded) Severums they had though were the same size and already had good coloration and characteristics of a severum.

Anyway, they all seem to be doing great - just getting settled in. I'll try to post a picture or two tomorrow.

Ooo pics..yay!

The numbers you have are similar to my 55g. It seems to work well in my tank, although I haven't mixed cichlids.

I suggest you QT the loaches before adding them. Clowns can be very tetchy. Remember, they are all wild caught, and don't always do well in captivity. They also often come with parasites. I QT'd mine for 3 weeks before they were added to the tank with everyone else. 2 months later, and with no additions, they STILL came down with ich. Many people have a hard time getting clown loaches thru the QT period; make sure they have a cave or something to hide in, and don't be disappointed if they all don't survive. Unfortunately, because of all the stress they're subject to, they sometimes just don't make it even if everything is perfect (water parameters, temps, Ph, etc). I originally purchased 3; one died within 24 hours. The other 2 did wonderfully, and I added a new third guy about a month later who also is doing well.

This info may not be 100% correct...

but when selecting clown loaches, always choose the biggest ones. Whenever loaches are grouped a dominate one emerges, and a whole chain forms in decreasing size. The smallest one is the most likely to die.

Still no loaches - I'm going to wait a couple of weeks on these since it sounds like they may be most susceptible to stress. I did get a Banded (turqouise) Severum, and to my surprise actually found a nicely colored Gold Severum - a little on the small side but seems to be fitting into the tank nicely.

Do make sure you QT the clown loaches (and have some sort of ceramic cave or PVC tube for them to hide in in that tank) before adding them to the main tank. Cause they are all wild caught, they tend to bring in parasites and disease. Don't want to infect the whole tank, and its a heckuva lot easier to treat in a smaller QT tank anyway if it becomes necessary.

And wheres my pics?? LOL

Internet delays

We had a storm come through a couple of days ago and my internet connection has been out. My only access has been at work, where I could not download pictures.

First, a question, what is the best way to photograph the aquarium? I have seen some stunning photographs that some of you have done, but am having trouble getting similar results with my digital. It is dusk now so artificial light is almost completely gone. Should I use flash, leave aquarium lights on, get really close, or far and zoom in, etc???

I haven't quite yet perfected the art of aquarium photos LOL Many of mine wind up having reflections, but thats partly cause I'm usually taking impromptu shots and haven't set things up properly.

I leave the tank lights on sometimes; I find the colors on the fish stand out better, especially if its evening and I have turned off the room lights. Other times I'll use natural lighting. I'll try to take pics on a bit of an angle instead of directly in front to avoid my reflection showing up. I have found zooming in all the way confuses my camera; it then tries to focus on the backround as the fish don't stay still. Zooming in about halfway, and taking the pic at a high resolution means I get a nice large pic that I can crop the fish out of and not lose quality. I never use the flash. You may want to post this in the photography forum; theres some peeps in there with a lot of experience with photography and they will probably have more and better suggestions than I :)

New pictures

OK, I did my best and took a few pictures, which I just downloaded. Unfortunately, the severums were being shy so there are none of them yet. The firemouths and Electric Yellow's are getting pretty comfortable and did not mind the picture taking quite as much - those Yellows sure are fast though!
Anyway, you should be able to view them all just as soon as they get approved.

Back
Top Bottom