How long will it take?......Am I mistaken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clueless

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Aaaaah!! I have two female guppies and two male guppies.......My females are supposedly pregnant.........They're REALLY fat.......one is fatter than the other though.......My dad says that they are pregnant but nothing has happened yet........They've been fat for over 3 weeks! Am I just not being patient? Am I wrong?...:shocked!:

Yeah 3 weeks is ordinary for a pregnant guppy, watch for her belly to turn box shaped, that means shes gonna blow soon. As long as their scales arent sticking out like a pinecone, you shouldn't worry. And I reccomend you get 2 more females to reduce the stress from the males. Females to male ratio should be 2:1 or 3:1

Just be patient. I would take Endgame's advice and get a few more females though as the ladies in there now might feel a little stressed. If they don't feel safe then they will carry longer so make sure there is lots of hiding places for them to get away from the pestering males.

Okay,since two people vote: Get more Females, I'll take the advice and thanks for actually responding.....Big Help! :eyes:

Christmasfish....

She DID ask her dad...but he's a grumpy old curmudgeon who told her to find out for herself. :D

Well you see , I don't have any room in my tank to put in two or even one more female(s)......Is that a big problem or is it something I can deal with??

Oh and by the way: Fruitbat, you're not a curmudgeon, Just an alien! 0X

What size tank are you talking about?

If you don't have room for any more is that because you are pre-planning the required room for the baby guppies?

I've got a five gallon and it's full.Dad wouldn't let me get anymore. I put on a face- :puppydogeyes: - but it didn't work.

Yup 5 gallons is going to be pretty rough after you have all those babies...just let the adults gobble them up.

Perhaps it is time to start looking for an upgrade. A 5 gallon tank would make a nice grow-out tank for guppy fry or it could become your QT. Otherwise, if you manage to save some of the guppy fry that 5 gallon will be very crowded in a month or two.

Back
Top Bottom