How low can you go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since I've owned my fish, I have been mixing my water with half of my softened inside water and half of my hard outside water. The gh/kh is currently around 7. My current problem is I hurt my shoulder and using 5 gallon buckets to fill a 55 gallon is getting old. I would like to use a python. My only concern is whether or not I can safely go directly from a 7 gh to my inside water, which is only 2 gh. Is anyone 100% sure this would be ok? I just don't want to lose my livestock over something so silly. Thank you

Could you do a 25% water change every day with your softened water, until you're on you're changed over? I made the switch from my hard well water before the softener to fully softened by doing my regular 50% water changes each week. Didn't notice any problems. But I don't keep discus or anything really sensitive. Bye bye buckets! :) Good luck!

You could do it and add a product like Equalibrium to restore minerals which will increase Gh if you have a planted tank. Or you can do as above and acclimate your tank down slowly if it's fish only. Just watch your ph if you go with the 2nd option because your ph will drop as Gh/Kh does and when you begin getting in the low 6's in ph your BB will also begin to slow down. Once Ph drops below 6 your BB can stop working completely.

Ok thanks. I will start to do this. Thank you both. What should I do if my ph drops too low? It is currently around 8.

If it drops below 6.4 you can either used a product like above or even add crushed coral to a media bag and run it in your filter or under your outflow from the filter.

Back
Top Bottom