how many angelfish can i put in a 60 gal hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to AA! You might be able to get away with 4 but I wouldn't count on it. I have 5 in a 135 gal tank and am fully prepared to remove some if necessary.

When they are small start out with about 10 and watch for pairing off. When they pair off get rid of 6 of them and keep two pairs and keep an eye on their behaviour.

Now, when you say get rid of, you mean what exactly? Give away to other people? Return to store? Do most stores take them back?

Return to store. Sell on craigslist, sell to local aquarium society members. IMO it is never difficult to get rid of angelfish. Especially well cared for ones.

Gotcha. I guess i just find it a bit.... i dunno, I don't want to say dishonest, but, disingenuous perhaps, to buy from a store knowing you'll return several of them. But I guess you're right, impressive looking angelfish are always in demand. Are they that picky when it comes to mates that you really need to buy that many to get two pairs?

how do you know if they are paring off

i only have two small angel fish with a few community fish i drive a few hundred miles a day so i stop in and check out alot of pet shops and i was looking for the coolest ones i could find .if i get a few more what are the signs that they are paring off.

I would also say 4. They need room to swim and hexagon tanks tend to be tall (unless yours isnt).

6 would be fine in my experience. I have 8 large (well over dollar sized bodies) angelfish in my 100g (5ft long) community tank that also houses 8 medium-large discus and they get along perfectly fine with no scuffles. Even with neon tetras and the 10 or so ABN plecos I'm growing out. I had 5 angels in my 55g before and they did fine as well.

Back
Top Bottom