How many fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlyrae1224

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon with 2 filters. A 100gallom filter and a 30 gallon. (Not sure why my husband wanted to add the old 30gal filter but whatever). Here is a list of whay I currently have in there. One 10" pleco, one 4" pleco, one 8" butterfly koi, four 6" comet goldfish, and six 4" veiltail goldfish. Yes, a big variety.
My question is, can I add in two 5" comets, two 5" koi, and seven 3" mix of koi and comets? Totalling 24 fish in the tank.
We have an outdoor pond and I'm not ready to experiment with Michigan weather and my 11 fish in the pond. I would like to bring them in for a few cold months.

I really would not add anything more to that tank. It's not number but the bio load. Those fish will produce a lot of waste and you will be busy enough with water changes.
How deep is the pond?

I really would not add anything more to that tank. It's not number but the bio load. Those fish will produce a lot of waste and you will be busy enough with water changes.
How deep is the pond?
I believe the pond is about 2-2.5 feet. It isn't a deep pond so that's my concern for winter. It also is not in the ground.20170804_083127.jpg

My friend has a 60 gal with 2 lg koi 1 comet and 1 lg clown loach and it looks crowded.

hes running a small pool filter on it.

Even your filter rated for a hundred gallons I bet is not efficient for the amount of fish you have in your tank now.

I don't think its going to take much for your ammonia level to spike.

I always have 60 gal of water ready to use and a water purification system.

If I was you I would have at least three 20 or 30 gal plastic trash cans filled with set water ready to change in case you need it for quick water change.

I'm not going to give you any advice on what to do but your tank is already over loaded.

Just saw the picture of your pond. The fish will not winter in that pond they will freeze.

It also doesn't look big enough for koi

It also doesn't look big enough for koi
I understand I do not know much about fish keeping yet but i do know it is not large enough for a long term home. It is temporary until we move and build them a large, deep home.

Back
Top Bottom