how many fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, well I've been stocking my 75gal mbuna tank recently; and I was wondering just how many fish I could put in there. I plan to do a 20% water change twice a week, I'm running an aquaclear 110, and they leave no scrap of food uneaten. I've seen stocking guides online that suggest anywhere from like...15-23 cichlids in a 75gal tank. What are your opinions? Here's a picture of the tank if that helps any...and I do plan to get onemore piece of holy rock for the right side.

Attachments

• mbunatank_319.jpg
    mbunatank_319.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 58
i don't know about stocking--but i just wanted to say: nice rocks! that big piece of holey rock is really beautiful!

It all depends on what fish you get... aggression issues, and how much maintenance you want to do!!!

well I am also a beginner with african cichlids and you can see what i have in my tank in my signature. I have 11 african cichlids and i plan on adding more acei and more yellow labs. But i won't really know how it works out until they get bigger because all of mine are small now, but so far its going great.

I no nothing but I like to get some rocks like that where can I get some??

They sell rocks like that at most fish stores.. but its EXPENSIVE.

Im planning a trip down my grandma's dirt road tomorrow.. i read that limestone is safe for cichild tanks and there are piles of it down her road.

Ashley: Limestone will definately raise the hardness and the pH. You may want to put a piece of the rock in a bucket with water for two weeks and test the chemistry before adding it to the tank.

Jase: It's hard to say. Just keep adding fish until it "feels" full. You'll know when its at its capacity. For a 75 gal Mbuna only tank I'd say you could get away with probably 15-20 fish as long as you keep up with maintenance and provide plenty of hiding places.

well, this is certainly a lot easier to maintain than my planted tank so that shouldn't be a problem. I can't imagine when these things are full grown adults. The tank already looks quite busy as it is. lol

o yes, I forgot, it seems the red zebra male may be showing possible breeding behaviour. He's about 2.5"-3" and has already steaked out a territory. He's dug himself a nice little pit under the reddish colored rocks to the left of the center holy rock. I believe you can even see a pile of sand where he has deposited his diggings. I often see him displaying for the females in a little shaking dance. should i expect fry soon?

LOL As soon as they do their "shimmy" then you can expect fry in about 2 to 3 weeks. But that is only if she actually lays the eggs and he fertilizes. Sometimes it is difficult for new mothers to catch on to what they are supposed to do. It may take a few batches to finally get some fry. It took three batches before our hap finally had more than 2 survivors.

Back
Top Bottom