How many fish can I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmyhetten9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just joined the forum as almost all my googling of questions leads me to something on these boards. I'm wondering how many fish I can stock in my tank. Wanting small community fish but curious about something a little bigger as long as they aren't aggressive. Would love suggestions.

I just finished my cycling and starting to do my research on fish. Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, PH ~6.5, Nitrates around 5ppm.

Here are my specs:

38 gallon
Planted pretty heavily
Fluval 306 filtration
Finnex Ray 2; 7k
CO2 daily
Freshwater; temp around 78 degrees
Eco complete substrate with fertilizer underneath

Planning to add a small school at a time to make sure all my bacteria fighting levels stay steady.

Thanks in advance

James

Well I had some black skirt tetras they were AWSOME schoolers! But they did pick on my angel fish I had. There are also Cory's there schooling catfish and he are a lot of types to chose from.

Tetras, certain mollies, normal danios. Are there small enough catfish that wouldn't grow too large for that size tank to school in?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I would get like 10 tetras and like 3-5 Cory cats for the tank

I'd probably go for otos instead of corys. At least 4.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cories are awesome. Try to get at least 5 or 6. There are many species to chose from. What is the floor size of your tank ?

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3' is good :)
A group of Cories would enjoy that.
C sterbai are one that I admire.
There are many available in the trade.

Some of these are quite rare...but you can see how many Cories exist AFAWK.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=1

Otos need a mature tank as they graze on biofilm as well as soft algae.

Avoid Mollies, they may eat plants.

Live bearers are easy fish, but messy and the constant chasing and babies annoys me.

I enjoy schools of
Rummynose Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
Threadfin Rainbows
Cardinal Tetras
Bleeding Heart Tetras

Black Skirts and Serpae Tetras can be fin nippers.

A single Pearl Gourami may fit depending on other stock.

You can try AqAdvisor http://www.aqadvisor.comas a general fish calculator. But post stock here if you'd like input.

A few schooling fish or the upper water column are rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, and most other tetras or rasboras. You may also be able to try a type of rainbows or angelfish.
For a centerpiece fish, I'd recommend a South American dwarf cichlid like a German Blue Ram or a apisto sp.

Fishinfreak, thanks for the response.

I was actually just reading up on the German Blue Ram because I'd like to have 1 pair of cichlids that could be in the community tank. Are they pretty peaceful? Do I need to keep a pair for them to be happy? I've got lots of hiding spots for them.

A few schooling fish or the upper water column are rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, and most other tetras or rasboras. You may also be able to try a type of rainbows or angelfish.
For a centerpiece fish, I'd recommend a South American dwarf cichlid like a German Blue Ram or a apisto sp.

Unless the OP is experienced I do not recommend Rams.

Apisto cacatuoides apisto cacatuoides

are much hardier in newer tanks. GBRs need pristine water and are best bought straight from a Breeder.

I'm worried my tank isn't big enough for Cichlids. Dwarf Blue Ram or Apisto cacatuoides. I'm in my tank everyday so I don't mind hard work to make sure parameters are just right. However, I want to make sure my fish are happy and not stressed. Do the Apisto Cacatuoides need still water? I've got a Fluval 306 which I have dialed back about 40% for my tank size but there is still some water movement. Right now my small White Clouds and Zebra Danios are fine but I want to make sure the Apisto's don't need completely still water. Also, do they do better solo, pairs, etc?

Much appreciated,

James

I'll let more experienced people answer the Apisto question. They are generally peaceful. Not sure on how they'd like flow. They can be solo or in pairs with more hiding spots.

The apisto cac's won't mind a little movement, mine are happy in a 29 heavily planted with 2 200 gph filters and a 240 gph powerhead.. I'd highly recommend them for your planted tank.. Rams are awesome too just was harder to keep alive;)

I'm worried my tank isn't big enough for Cichlids. Dwarf Blue Ram or Apisto cacatuoides. I'm in my tank everyday so I don't mind hard work to make sure parameters are just right. However, I want to make sure my fish are happy and not stressed. Do the Apisto Cacatuoides need still water? I've got a Fluval 306 which I have dialed back about 40% for my tank size but there is still some water movement. Right now my small White Clouds and Zebra Danios are fine but I want to make sure the Apisto's don't need completely still water. Also, do they do better solo, pairs, etc?

Much appreciated,

James

Tank size wise, you have plenty of room I believe. I think some people keep dwarf cichlids in tanks like a 20g (probably a long sized). Depending on how good of a LFS you have, you may want to try checkerboard cichlids or dwarf red flag cichlids. Both are fairly peaceful dwarfs that aren't as commonly kept

I'm planning on getting Bolivian Rams, they kind of have a subtle beauty to them... They are much hardier I've heard, as they are not inbred as much. Also, don't GBR prefer higher temps then most fish, around 80'f ish?

Both Bolivians and GBRs prefer warmer temps. I keep mine at 82F and they seem very happy with that. My little Apisto Cac chased my GBR so much that I had to take her out. Apistos can be quite feisty, depending on the personality of the one you get.

Both Bolivians and GBRs prefer warmer temps. I keep mine at 82F and they seem very happy with that. My little Apisto Cac chased my GBR so much that I had to take her out. Apistos can be quite feisty, depending on the personality of the one you get.
apisto's like a little cooler temps than rams, 77/78 is ideal.. Seeing as they're both cichlids I would not recommend having them in the sane tank unless you have 5+ of each.. I wouldn't put another male in with mine sane as I wouldn't put a ram in because he would beat the boogers out of either one.. They can be as calm as they want to be and they can turn on the wrath when they feel like it too;)

I'm realizing my local pet stores are awful for fish stock. I've compiled a list from all the great advice here and they don't have any if the species.

Are there any good online stores that have a good reputation?

Back
Top Bottom