How many fish can I put + aggro gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fario

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 300l tank that is 120x50x50cm (80gallons, 47 inches by 19 for non metrics)

so far I have added live plants, 12 guppies, males and females and thus resulting fry (I leave the guppies be, the fry are born in the community tank and have plenty of hiding places and a large number are surviving)
There are 3 cardinal tetras, there were 10 but they disappeared one by one until these last three are left (any explanations??)
There are 2 plecos that are still growing
and finally, the latest addition, 2 gouramis. My LFS told me to get a pair, male and female, only what the guy actually sold me was 2 females, which I only noticed much later.
I have a three spot and a honey gourami. They are the same size, but the three spot (Mulder) chases the honey (Scully). Scully is always in hiding in a corner, except at feeding time, when the two gouramis seem to not notice each other, even though they eat side by side almost. I have managed to have them eat from my finger and they completely ignore each other, which I find a bit weird...

So 1) How can I fix or calm down this aggression? I have added large plants, and moved decorations to change line of sight and perhaps shift territories but the changes didn't seem to affect much. Once Mulder decides to chase and nip Scully, she follows her all around the tank. Otherwise, the general opinion seems to be to add a male to have a trio, but this brings me to my second question, 2) how many fish can I add? I want everyone to have room and be comfortable, I don't want to go anywhere near the bioload limit.

thank you so much in advance and sorry for the wall of text

Hi, could be the tetras don't quite like the water or are getting picked off. With the gourami, I would just re-house one if you can.

Back
Top Bottom