How many fish for a 50 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan9528

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gallon, 24 inch high fish tank I was wondering the max amount of fish I should put in? I heard 1 inch per gallon, I just wanted to check with the experts?

The inch per gallon rule isn't a good one to follow. Everyone has their own ideas on stocking tanks so you won't always get the same answers. It depends on what kind of fish you want to put in the tank. There are two main things to take into consideration: The space for your fish to swim around and the bioload of the fish that you choose.

I would play around on this page. A lot of people don't like it and it certainly doesn't give good stocking advice 100 percent of the time, but I think it's a good place to start to get a general idea on how to stock an aquarium.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

That site is kinda fun. I am on another thread right now trying to figure out what I want in a 20.

Thank you, I think your right, it's a good starting point.

Ryan9528 said:
Thank you, I think your right, it's a good starting point.

The one inch per gallon rule is really only really accurate with fish an inch and under. Like 50 Neons could work in a 50 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom