How many fish for a 50 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daryth Darkmoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm still pretty new to all of this, so I'm not entirely sure how many fish I should be adding to my 50 gallon. I allowed it to cycle, and started with 2 fantail goldfish for a few weeks before adding a few more.

I'm currently up to 5 fantails. (for those that have read my other posts, the crayfish is getting his own tank very soon and has been removed from the 50)

I'm just not sure what other types of fish I should add, or how many.

I'll accept any and all advice, and photos are welcome.

I was hoping for angelfish, but I don't know how well they would do with the fantails. That and my local dealers don't seem to be able to get their hands on them often enough. Particualrly the Koi Angels, of which I was hoping for 2 with a decent amount of orange. But I am rambling again.

ya angels would be cool, seems like you could mybe put in some bottem dwellers as well as the angels, just stay away for fin nippers like tiger barbs some rosy barbs would be cool as well i think they are more peaceful, but they do get big, maybe one male gourami as well.

just a thought

I was thinking of maybe a piscus catfish for bottom dwelling...
just wondering if something like
5 fantails
4 angels
1 piscus
1 pleco

would be too much for the tank.

I could remove 2 of the fantails as long as I do it while they're still small.

I had also briefly considered an axolotl, but the tank conditions wouldn't be right.

5 fantails
4 angels
1 piscus
1 pleco

unfortunatly tank conditions won't be right for this mixture anyway, goldies are coldwater fish, angels, pictus and plecos are more tropicals and prefer warmer climates to thrive.

my angels have been happy and active in the tank so far, and abnormally warm apartment conditions have helped keep the tank at a steady 78*F.

I've had them for a few weeks now, and there don't appear to be any issues.
Thats why I was thinking of mixing them with tropicals.

Tropicals and Goldfish

Hello
To answer the question you posed to the forum, it is really not a good idea to mix tropicals and "coldwater" fish in the same tank. They both have different needs and require completely different tank setups. On the topic of how many fish per gallon is acceptable it si usually 1 inch per gallon. Remember to account for the fish at its full grown size so as to allow for maximum fishey happiness

On the topic of how many fish per gallon is acceptable it si usually 1 inch per gallon.

8O I'm at 210% capacity 8O 8O

seriously, you will soon learn how many you can keep provided the filtration and your maintenance is routine and efficient.

The goldfish will be the largest concern due to their size and mess.

Re: Tropicals and Goldfish

F-18 TECH said:
Hello
To answer the question you posed to the forum, it is really not a good idea to mix tropicals and "coldwater" fish in the same tank. They both have different needs and require completely different tank setups. On the topic of how many fish per gallon is acceptable it si usually 1 inch per gallon. Remember to account for the fish at its full grown size so as to allow for maximum fishey happiness

The 1 inch per gallon is definatly helpful advice. I was just talking with a friend on messenger and I've decided to shuffle the tanks around and move the fantails to other smaller tanks to allow room for a communtiy tank....preferably with angel as the main focus.

If I can ever find Koi angels in the local store.

DeFeKt said:
On the topic of how many fish per gallon is acceptable it si usually 1 inch per gallon.

8O I'm at 210% capacity 8O 8O

Ya I'm right with ya on that one DeFe.

But the basic 1 inch rule is a good place to start if you have no clue.

Hell.........didn't we all start there?

The one inch per gallon rule is NOT acceptable, ever. You must take into consideration the bioload that the species has. Goldfish, fantails included, should have 10 gallons per fish and should NOT be housed with other species. Any type of sucker fish, oto included cannot be housed with golds. They might appear to get along but I've seen otos and other sucker fish stucker to the inside of the goldfish gills. They basically eat the goldfish from the inside out. Tropical fish should not be housed with goldfish. Goldfish do best at 70 degrees or below as there is more oxygen in the water to help with breathing in messy conditions. Goldfish should also ideally be housed in 7.8-8.0 ph, which means any tiny level ammonia is toxic. This ph doesn't agree with angelfish and although you don't see any visable signs now, the fish will definately be suffering.

As far as I'm concerned your fish are being housed in cruel conditions as all you care about is how many "decorations" you can put in this random box of water. Annonia poisoning, nitrate, nitrite, ph poisoning can take weeks even months to show but the fish are slowly suffering the whole time. Do you test your water at all? Do you know that the people who are giving you this one inch per gallon rule are new to this hobby also. they've got 13 posts and less and have also been fed these stupid rule of thumb conditions their whole lives.

someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Someone is sick of goldfish and other fish being treated as disposable decorations. I'm sick of watching fish be slowly burned by chemicals from the inside out.

And you should be.........but........comon........that was a bit harsh.

Lets see, someone experienced already told him they can't be housed together, and he said "they look happy" and that he wasn't willing to change his stocking plans. He doesn't care that they are suffering because after a few weeks they still look healthy. Somebody needs to get it through people's skulls that fish can feel pain and looking at them externally after a few weeks of improper conditions is no way of deciding that they are fine. I'm not the one being harsh, I didn't put burning chemicals in his lungs did I? I didn't deprive him of oxygen. Nope, my words didn't physically harm him.

Please stay on topic.

As far as I'm concerned, DepotFish is correct, goldies should NOT be housed with tropicals, and goldies should have at least 10gallons of space per fish.

the inch per gallon 'rule' isn't a rule, its a very loose guideline. if it were a rule, you could put a 10" fish in a 10gallon tank. sure it couldn't move, and would use up the available oxygen in 20 mins, but it fits the rule, right?

Tank stocking is as much about bioload as it is swimming space...not to mention compatibility.

My advice is to SLOW DOWN. Fishkeeping is not a fast paced hobby. The more patience you exercise, the better the outcome...the better the health of fish (and plants) and the more stable the tank is.

Obviously I'm new to the hobby and have no idea what I'm doing.

Which is why I'm asking questions.

And I beleieve you missed my post where I said the goldfish are going to be moved to another tank or two.

And quite frankly I'm very angry that you are assuming that I am purposely and knowingly placing my fish in a harmful environment. It is simply a lack of knowledge, not some sick perverse pleasure I take in hurting defenseless animals.

So please, try to remember that I am NEW TO THE HOBBY and try not to be such a jerk.

I am definately open to constructive criticism, but you don't have to be rude or insulting.

Daryth Darkmoon said:
I am definately open to constructive criticism, but you don't have to be rude or insulting.
DepotFish doesn't speak for all of us.... and his "less than 13 post" comment means nothing. Someone could be in the hobby for 10 yrs and just join the forum. I doubt that he started the aquarium hobby October, 6th 2005, although that is when he joined here..... so ignore his harsh comments. I understand his passion, but it is to the extreme and I assume he is bitter over the Packer's season last year, so no biggie.

Now... to stay ON TOPIC. Most Freshwater Tropical fish should be housed in approx ~77-82 degrees depending on the fish. Most goldfish are to be housed under 72 degrees. I say most, because there are always exceptions (i.e. discus).
About deciding the fish to choose-
The 1" per gallon rule is a loose rule, and there is nothing wrong with thinking in those guidelines. The best thing to do, is plan with webpages and books based on that guideline, and then post your stocking list on this forum, and let us either add to it, take away from it, or substitute from it. Many things are to be considered- oxygen capacity, bottom/middle/top dwellers, terrotories, compatability, gender/color/finnage, etc. You are doing the right thing by asking first, and I am glad that you have stuck around even after EASILY being offended and leave the forum (which would obviously NOT benefit the fish or the hobby). So, let me welcome you to Aquarium Advice, and if you have any questions, PM me, or post a topic, and feel free to not get backlash.
Obviously, some people don't know that criticism and constructive criticism are two different things. :roll: Maybe the packers will win 3 games this season and he might be happier? You want some constructive criticism from me Depot? I dont think that you should keep a Male Veiltail betta in a 1 gallon aquarium..... so obviously even some people can't be perfect.

I probably should change my profile, it was in a one gallon once upon a time, and now its in a 5 gallon. My goldfish was in a 10 gallon once too. Which was ok but now she's in a 30 gallon. And I don't watch football. I think our childrens' teachers should be paid more than a football player. I feel that one person already approached with the calm informative method and that was blown off so I used a more blunt, truthful approach. When it comes to living animals I believe in telling it like it is so that they get the best of care faster.

I understand your passion Depot but ya gotta be kind. Your "truthful approach" don't mean squat if the guy never returns to the forum cuz you offended him.

I know I know........stay on topic..........well I've said my piece......I promise.

I've been considering my options, and for now I'm just going to stick with the 5 fantails in the 50 since in all honesty I can't really afford what I want right now.

Is there anything I can do, or some kind of equipment I can install, to help lower the temp and keep it at the appropriate range?

It is sitting at a constant 78*F without a heater. My appartment stays pretty hot despite the fact that the heat is off.

I'm also wondering if installing a heater for winter months would be a good idea, considering I live in Michigan.

Back
Top Bottom