How many fish in 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak

I recently got a 10g aquarium. I am a newbie and this is my first aquarium. I have been doing a lot of reading on the net and just added 2 zebra danios today to start the cycle. Will 6 zebra danios and 3 cory cats be too much in my 10g. I have a Penguin 125 filter.

That is about the max for a 10 gallon. Stick with that amount and you will be fine. Just make sure during the cycle to keep checking the ammonia and nitrite levels and whenever you detect any then do a water change. This won't slow the cycle down as if there is any amount detectable that means the bacteria present can't handle the load. And also remember that every new fish you add will mean a new small cycle as the bacteria adjust.

10 inches in length is the best, what you will have should not be a overload. Just remember fish grow too!!! :fadein:

megnmick said:
10 inches in length is the best, what you will have should not be a overload. Just remember fish grow too!!! :fadein:

The 1inch of fish to 1gal of water is pretty much a myth.

Much like the myth of fish not growing larger than their tank allows.

Also, you have to look at how much waste a fish produces, as well as what level do they reside in the tank. Top bottom or middle.

Inch Myth

I agree w/ William. The inch per gallon rule came about early in the aquarium hobby in America. At the time the availablility of pumps, airstones and test kits was non-existent. I have no problem keeping 50 juvenile guppies in a 10 gallon tank that get fed 5 to 7 times a day. Truth be told, I'm embarrassed to admit that I have on more than one occassion had 50 adult fancy guppies AND 5 large albino corys in a 10 gallon tank. I know many other breeders who do, also. Of course there is no gravel in my tanks and filtration is provided by two large corner filters w/ biomedia. It all comes down to water changes. In a tank that loaded I might do a 15-20% water change every day. I can only say what has worked for me and of course I am not advocating this as the way to go - but to stick to the inch per gallon rule just doesn't make much sense in this day and age. Water changes, water changes, water changes. The golden rule of successful fish keeping.

Your mileage may vary.

Guppyman

P.S. I have a few tanks right now w/ 40 guppies per tank should anyone like to see a pic. I wouldn't fib ya'.

I believe you, Guppyman, but I would like to see a pic anyway please. Can you upload one to your gallery? Just because I agree the one inch per gal. rule is a bit antiquated, and I'd like to see what you have done. It CAN be a good guideline for beginners, though, as long as they're not trying to use it to justify putting a 10 inch oscar in a 10 gal. or something!

So Todd2, I agree that is the perfect amount of fish for your tank. They're both such active species, too, so you should have lots of fun watching them. :D

Inch Myth

Greetings,

Yes, I will be happy to upload some pics to the gallery, later today. I haven't had my cup o' joe, yet. I want to be sure that you don't think that I advocate people cramming their 10 gallon tank with 50 fish. I do it out of necessity. I, like most breeders I know, never have enough tanks. I have a feeling that I am going to be doing it more and more as I am being overrun with fish. I'm spending the day getting tanks ready for 15 new strains of guppies from Germany, Austria, The Czech Republic and Japan that I will be receiving this week. So check back this evening for many new pics in my gallery, if they bump my gallery space allotment after my donation I made to aa.com yesterday.

Guppyman

Additional Pics

Hi,

I'm sorry - but I won't be able to get those pics up until tomorrow. Did water changes and cleaned filters on 50 tanks today and I am exhausted. Now that the work for the week is done - I can take Sunday to do the extra things - like take more photos. They will be up tomorrow.

Guppyman

10 G Capacity

I placed a picture in my gallery of a 10 gallon tank w/ 40 female guppies. As you can see, there's room for plenty more. There's a few corys in there, too.

Guppyman

cool, thanks for sharing!

btw, i knew you weren't trying to encourage overloading tanks, i was just curious to see how such a full tank looked. and you're right, it does look like there's room for more! i know as a livebearer breeder there is probably no possible way you could have enough tanks to keep them under the definition of "overstocked." i have heard guppies like rather crowded conditions, which is probably out of neccessity!

your fish room is also very impressive.

My pleasure. You're right. No matter how many tanks one has, the population will generally increase to the point that you must put more fish in a tank than you might really want. It's a Murphy's Law thing.

As far as the fish room goes, at this point it's more depressing than impressive. Will it ever be finished? That's the question I face every day. I've been promised it will be 100% finished with about 200 bubbling tanks within the next 3 weeks. So far it's been a case of whatever CAN go wrong - WILL.

Guppyman

Back
Top Bottom