How many fish in 200L tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raynman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've got a newly set up (2 months) 200ish litre tank and I'm wondering how many fish I can have. Now I know there's hundreds of different answers but a rough idea would be nice.

The tank currently consists of 4 neon tetras, 4 cherry barbs, 2 angel fish, 1 male dwarf gourami and 1 bristlenose catfish.

An i already close to the limit? I wouldn't mind adding a few more if I can, I was thinking rainbow sharks if possible.

Thanks

The tank measures 110cm x 50cm x 40cm. So no rainbow sharks then? I wouldn't mind adding 1 or 2 bigger fish...

Neon Tetra and Cherry Barb are a little small for when you have full sized Angels, you could maybe replace them with a bigger type of fish like Melon Barbs or 5 Banded Barbs which are cool looking and would be big enough not to be scared of other fish and unlike Tiger Barbs probably wouldnt annoy the angels.

You definitely have room for more fish although more than one Rainbow or Red Tail can cause aggression with each other, when they are full size they can be territorial among fish that look similar to them, 200L is big enough for them to have space though but it seems it's really better to only have 1 of them or about 5 of them. I'd stick to 1. Although they are aggressive towards each other they tend not to actually fight though, they just chase each other away but as their "parent" its uncomfortable to watch. If you only have one it will be much calmer and none of your other fish are types of fish it would chase away Rainbows tend to only do it to fish like Red Tails or Siamese Algae Eaters as they look similar to them and are a similar size and swim in the same areas.

You could get a group of Corydoras also, Corydoras stay on the bottom of the tank and constantly dig around for food and will pick up uneaten food from the other fish although should be fed themselves. If you feed frozen bloodworm or stuff a lot will fall to the bottom and they really enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom