How many fish to put into QT at once?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Soo, soon I'll be in the process of cycling a 10 gallon quarantine tank, and eventually plan on putting 5 panda corys and possibly 1 or 2 honey gourami.

Would it be a good idea to have both the corys and the gourami simultaneously in the QT after it cycles? They would be coming from the same shop (the Wet Spot in Portland), so it would be more convenient for me to make less trips to the lfs, you know?

Any advice appreciated, thanks! :)

I don't see a problem with it. If one does exhibit signs you can move them to a separate container depending on symptoms.

Caleb

okay! Assuming all fish are healthy, would it be okay to add them to the DT after they pass quarantine? Or would 6-7 fish be too much to add at once?

DT is a 29 gallon tank w/ 3 platys, 9 gold cloud minnows and 5 amano shrimp

okay! Assuming all fish are healthy, would it be okay to add them to the DT after they pass quarantine? Or would 6-7 fish be too much to add at once?

DT is a 29 gallon tank w/ 3 platys, 9 gold cloud minnows and 5 amano shrimp

I try to do a minimum QT of a week. If all still look healthy and no physical signs then you could add. If you Fishless cycled the tank you can add them all at once.

Caleb

I plan on QT for a month, I trust the stock from the Wet Spot, but as a new hobbist, I figure I should just get the the habit of QT-ing everything for a month.

I did not fishless cycle the DT, so should I only introduce one group, say the honeys, then a week later add the corys? (Provided everyone is healthy)

With fish from wet spot a weeks observation is more than enough.
Oh really? So then would you do? Bring 1 month in QT down to week and a half or so? I'm trying to exclusively purchase my fish from the wet spot since I've had a great experience there and everyone here says the same too haha

I tend to quarantine fish for at least a month, no matter what the source. I can condition the fish ready for the DT, by this I mean settle them into my water and feed them up. Only when I feel that they are ready do I move them. I think that quarantining a fish is more than just ensuring it has no ailments or disease. But I enjoy my fish in the QT so I'm in no rush to move them out.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

My intent is to let the filter hang out in the DT for a week, then move it to the QT, and finish it up with a fishless cycle to prepare it for any potential QT fish. Does that sound like a good plan?

Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and quarantine for 30/31 days and see how it goes from there.

And as far as I've been told gold cloud mountain minnows can tolerate up to 77F, I keep my tank at about 74 and the minnows don't appear to be stressed or lethargic at all. Also, as far as I know, most gouramis can be kept 72-82F.

Back
Top Bottom