How many German Blue Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
How many german blue rams would it be ok to have in a 75 gallon tank. I have enough room for up to 10 honestly and Im wondering how many is a good idea, I have a planted tank so there will be lots of area to hide and i would also like to know if they should always be kept in pairs or what kind of ratio should happen

Well, I personally would say 6 (3 pairs) since the footprint of the 75 is the same the 55. They like to stick mostly on the bottom, so the upward space isn't as useful to them. Maybe 8, but I think 6 would be a good healthy number because then if they all paired up, each pair would have a good sized territory. Of course, it also depends on tankmates and stuff. They seem to do best in pairs if you are doing multiples, but it is not really a big deal as long as there is space for everybody to set their own territory. You could start with 8-10 juvies and see who pairs with whom and how they get along and perhaps sell any outsiders to an lfs.
Personally, I like to make sure my rams have a lot of space since they are sensitive, so I do not want them to have any stress due to potential neighbor issues.

Well, I personally would say 6 (3 pairs) since the footprint of the 75 is the same the 55. They like to stick mostly on the bottom, so the upward space isn't as useful to them. Maybe 8, but I think 6 would be a good healthy number because then if they all paired up, each pair would have a good sized territory. Of course, it also depends on tankmates and stuff. They seem to do best in pairs if you are doing multiples, but it is not really a big deal as long as there is space for everybody to set their own territory. You could start with 8-10 juvies and see who pairs with whom and how they get along and perhaps sell any outsiders to an lfs.
Personally, I like to make sure my rams have a lot of space since they are sensitive, so I do not want them to have any stress due to potential neighbor issues.

6 is what i was thinking, however a 75 and 55 are the same hight a 75 has a wider base at least my tank does. But I dont think I would want to have more then 6 anyways. Thank you for the feedback

6 is what i was thinking, however a 75 and 55 are the same hight a 75 has a wider base at least my tank does. But I dont think I would want to have more then 6 anyways. Thank you for the feedback
Ah. Oops. The ones I am familiar with have the same footprint as the 55, they are just taller. But, I am glad my comments worked anyway. Lol. I really like keeping rams. They show a lot of really neat behaviors. :)

Ah. Oops. The ones I am familiar with have the same footprint as the 55, they are just taller. But, I am glad my comments worked anyway. Lol. I really like keeping rams. They show a lot of really neat behaviors. :)

yeah thats what iv been reading and well quite honestly they are stunning looking fish and will be perfect for my new tank (in a few months after its well astablished)

Back
Top Bottom