How many guppies is too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcrazypants05

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay well my mom has become fascinated with guppies. I have turned the 55 gallon over to her for feeding and picking what she wants as long as its approved by you guys heh... When the peacock eel gets larger I don't know what I'll do with it, because im sure it will eat the guppies. I don't think it would survive in my 125 gallon though. Anyway, to my point... We had 4 females and 3 males. The first week of fascination I was with her at the LFS and told her to get 2 females/1 male. Well I didnt go with her this time, but she bought 3 guppies and the guy threw in one for free. She came home with 2 male/2 female. One of our females died though... Not really sure what happened. She was pregnant so maybe she just got too stressed. So the count is 3 male/3 female. How many more guppies could I have with my setup... 1 more male and maybe like 2-3 more females? Or perhaps I should just set the ratio right with females and leave it at that?

TIA

I would leave it like that. There is room enough for the females to hide in your aquarium, exspecially if you have some plants or something like that.
If your mom is really interested in guppies (that's the way it seems to be), she could pay some attention for baby fish and maybe she'll find some she can rise. My mom always loved to save all the guppy fry in my old tank she could get. When I came home from school she was already sitting in front of the aquarium again for a couple hours trying to get even the last one.

Guppies should get more by the time anyway if they don't get eaten up by your other fish, so I wouldn't buy any more. Just raising them and keeping the prettiest is very interesting :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom