How many guppies is too many for a 15-gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, there's a bit of reading to this inquiry, so my apologies, but here it goes:

I currently have what appears to be 3 male, 2 female, and 1 currently unsexed guppy in my 15-gallon column tank, and before you say it, yes, I know I should have at least 2 females for every male. I'll get to that part in a bit.

I bought the two females pregnant, and I thought two of the males were young females when I got them, but it turns out they're just males with very small fins and tails. The unsexed gup (at least I think it's a guppy) is one I think hopped a ride on one of the plants I bought at the beginning of February and I found it in my tank a couple days later. It's almost tripled in size since I first found it and moved it to my nursery tank, so I put it back in with my other guppies as soon as I was confident it was big and strong enough to not get cannibalized by the older fish, which was about two or three weeks ago.

When I first got the pregnant females, I put them in my 3-gallon shrimp tank for them to give birth since it has a gentle sponge filter. Once they'd given birth, I waited an extra day to move them to make sure they were finished birthing, then moved them to the larger tank to join the others. I started out with about 15 babies if I counted correctly, and about two or three weeks later, I'm down to somewhere between 7 and 10 babies, but they're still too young to sex yet, but when they are old enough, I plan to keep most if not all the females and either sell or give away the males.

My question is, how many guppies should I keep in my 15-gallon tank without overpopulating it? If it makes any difference, it has an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 filter that is rated for up to 20 gallons, about 5 different species of plants, and 3 ghost shrimp and 2 black mystery snails for a clean-up crew. Oh, and it's heated to between 75 and 80 F too if that helps any.

Thank you for your input:)

Rey...

Guppies are fast breeders if you keep their tank water clean with a lot of large water changes. If the tank was mine, I'd remove and replace half the water twice a week. The cleaner the water, the healthier the fish and whatever living things go in the tank. One male and 3 to 4 females is enough. They'll fill a small tank in a month or so. Make plans for a larger tank. I have my Guppies in 55 and 60 gallon tanks.

B

Don't keep females that have been impregnated without males. They can hold and cause serious health problems for themselves.

Do you know where you'll be selling? If you have one male and three females, you'll have about 100 fry each month. You will need more space to grow them out.

Back
Top Bottom