How many is too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a 10g, a good stocking is 1 school of tetras (6 in a school) and a centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami (keep it small) or 5-6 male guppies.

8 - 10 neons.
6 black skirts
6 guppies watch out for babys though (all males or all females or 2 males and 4 females)
not sure what a slivertip is.
I mean one of the above not all of them.

rich311k said:
8 - 10 neons.
6 black skirts
6 guppies watch out for babys though (all males or all females or 2 males and 4 females)
not sure what a slivertip is.
I mean one of the above not all of them.

wow, how did u do that? that is like almost exaclty what i have!!!

I have:

4 neons
8 blackskirts
3 silvertips
4 guppies

Haha....he said pick one of those....not all of them. If you all those fish in a 10g, you are seriously overstocked.

You should pick one type to keep and return the others.

That is a bit to many fish. Decide on one kind of tetra and see if you can return the rest. I think you will find the fish are more relaxed that way and they will be happier.

JustOneMore20 said:
Haha....he said pick one of those....not all of them. If you all those fish in a 10g, you are seriously overstocked.

You should pick one type to keep and return the others.

great, what do i do now?

Ok, just checking. Like said above, I'm afraid you'll have to pick the 1 type you like and if its the Silvertips or neons, you can add more to the school to make 6, or keep all the black widows. Or if you keep the neons or silvertips, you can also keep the guppies...but return the others.

So basically, you can have:
6-8 neons
or
6-8 silvertips
or
8 blackskirts
or
4 neons and 4 guppies
or
4 silvertips and 4 guppies

Personally, I'd take the black skirts back. 8 of them will get crowded in a 10g, even if they are the only fish in the tank. They get around 2.5 inches, maybe a little less, so I think a 20g long tank would be minimum for them. I like the Silvertip and guppy combo. You could add another silvertip to make 4.

JustOneMore20 said:
Ok, just checking. Like said above, I'm afraid you'll have to pick the 1 type you like and if its the Silvertips or neons, you can add more to the school to make 6, or keep all the black widows. Or if you keep the neons or silvertips, you can also keep the guppies...but return the others.

So basically, you can have:
6-8 neons
or
6-8 silvertips
or
8 blackskirts
or
4 neons and 4 guppies
or
4 silvertips and 4 guppies

Personally, I'd take the black skirts back. 8 of them will get crowded in a 10g, even if they are the only fish in the tank. They get around 2.5 inches, maybe a little less, so I think a 20g long tank would be minimum for them. I like the Silvertip and guppy combo. You could add another silvertip to make 4.

haha thats so funny. I decided about 2 hrs ago to get rid of the blackskirts. And you just told me i should get rid of them also. So i guess im on the right track. great

Thanks a bunch

Are you taking back anything other than the black skirts? I would either take back the guppies or another tetra school, along with the black skirts.

Good to see you are willing to do the right thing!

Back
Top Bottom