How many more Cory's would you add? Please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are quite the group that's for sure. They are still young and their colors are not as good as I would like to see, but I think we a bit more age they will be real stunners.

I love this tank! Like Brenna said, it's so nice to see a large tank with just a few types of fish!

Is it possible to overfeed baby fry? They are almost a week old and eating well, but maybe too well?

All them have bellies like this one in the picture.

uploadfromtaptalk1443819009229.jpg

When I actually get my cory fry to live I feed small meals several times a day. If you can only swing twice a day that should be ok
I would watch them eat and if they eat it all up real quick add a little more and when you get to the point that there are leftovers then you know to stop and kinda gage it that way. I really haven't heard of them stuffing themselves to death.

Just to clarify these are the corys that took 6 days to hatch? I'm so envious. I can get fish to spawn no problem but keeping cory fry alive is just really challenging for me. They just don't make it in the main tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, these Cory's took 6 days to hatch in 75 degree water in the breeder net. The net was positioned right in front of a koralia nano 425 power head. The mesh is so fine that it slowed the flow right now. I did lose quit a few eggs (unfertile). But with this being a first spawn I think it went well.

The fry are now almost a week old and I have lost one. He died in the breeder before moving to their own 10g

I moved them to the 10g on day 3. Its set at 75 and now I just moved it to 76. I used old sand that I rinsed well, some floaters on top, a seeded aquaclear 20 (set to half flow rate), a heater and a bit of java moss which some like to hide under.

I dont have a light specifically for the tank, but the room light is on all day and off at night. I didn't want it to be too bright for them.

I been feeding a mix diet two times a day. The mix is made up of: frozen BBS, hakari first bites, and finely ground new life spectrum flakes. I leaves a pile of food which I feed with a dropper in the same part of the tank. I try and siphon up the junk hours later. I added many snails too the tank to keep things clean too.

I do daily water changes, from my tap, treated and matched temp using a digital thermometer. 50% a day, give or take.

This have been getting bigger and more active each day, so I figure I am doing a good job.

Water from my tank is kh8 GH 7 ph 7.5 ish. Good quality water.

I hope to add them back to the main tank at 1-2 months old. We will see how fast they grow :)

Cory fry usually grow slowly in my opinion but besides eating their own eggs I've never know corys to hurt their young.
I've been trying different methods of keeping the fry once they hatch. I think my snafu this last time was water quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Just had my other large female spawn today. She is putting all of her eggs on the underside of leaves. Lights are out now, I will check tomorrow to see if I can collect any leaves with eggs. If not, not a big deal this time.

Both spawns took place one day after a big water change. Once I grow out my existing fry and sell them, I will have a better idea if its worth continuing to breed them and raise fry. Otherwise I will let nature do its course in the tank.

What are the plants you have floating on the top in your aquarium?

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I kept 28 in my tank, really it's a fantastic sight. . . Keep as many as you sensibly can. If you like your species in large schools, (I guess you do from your stock list) it is worth the effort! (Effort? That's the wrong word, maybe time? It's worth your time!)

What size tank did you have? Did you start off with a small group and then work up?

What size tank did you have? Did you start off with a small group and then work up?

Umm, I think it's 210 us gal. (It's listed as 750 litres in my sig) last fill was 860 but I added more rocks!

The story behind my shoal is, I used to breed the peppered Cory for fish tokens (free food or fish at my local fish stores) I got busy at work and my partner had the task of raising the eggs, so, the time comes to get rid of them (sell the stock) she got VERY upset, "they're my babies. . . Blah blah"

So I ended up with a monster shoal! I gave a few away but. . . I kept loads.
Short version, all in, in one go! (y)

This fish is fairly easy to breed. C paleatus have been around for ages and are well accustomed to tank life.

Of the stock in the tank. I'm sure I don't?
The only evidence I have of my fish exploits are links in my sig.
You tube is my old stuff, way poor quality! There is a rough vid of a batch of catfish fry. It has poor IQ though!
AA forum is my fish house build and flickr file is my entire fish history since oct 2012.

Please, feel free to have a look.

Back
Top Bottom