How many more fish to stock a 20 gall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All...

I'm only a few days into cycling a 20 gall with 3 Platies. I was able to locate BioSpira and it should be here Friday. What would be my game plan once it arrives.........should I do a pwc and then add the Bio Spira and more fish? How much of a pwc?

Here's what I have in mind as far as stocking....

4 Platies (will re-home any surviving fry that might result)
1 Betta (big maybe)
8-10 Lemon Tetras

If the Betta doesn't work as a centerpiece, what would be another idea? I'm very open to suggestions on the numbers and even types--my biggest concern is not to overstock.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions??

Thanks!!

TXFish said:
Hi All...

I'm only a few days into cycling a 20 gall with 3 Platies. I was able to locate BioSpira and it should be here Friday. What would be my game plan once it arrives.........should I do a pwc and then add the Bio Spira and more fish? How much of a pwc?

Yes, and I would go 50%.

Here's what I have in mind as far as stocking....

4 Platies (will re-home any surviving fry that might result)
1 Betta (big maybe)
8-10 Lemon Tetras

If the Betta doesn't work as a centerpiece, what would be another idea? I'm very open to suggestions on the numbers and even types--my biggest concern is not to overstock.

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions??

Thanks!!

Looks good, although I would consider 5 lemons, 3 platies (2F, 1M), a dwarf gourami (in place of the betta), and a small school (3-5) of a small corydoras cat such as panda corys....and perhaps a couple of otocinclus to keep any algae down.

You might want to look at a scavenger/cleaner type fish like Cory's or maybe a single small variety of pleco. My personal preferance is for the Panda's but they like good sized groups of 6 or more, so a single pleco might be the way to go instead.

Unfortunately, my current ratio of Platies is 2M/1F so I'm thinking I need to get (at least) 1 more female.

Are there small varieties of Plecos that I could put in this tank that won't get too big?

**Sigh**......I'm starting to wish I had a bigger tank :roll: .

TXFish said:
Unfortunately, my current ratio of Platies is 2M/1F so I'm thinking I need to get (at least) 1 more female.

Or trade a male for a female to give you a 1:2 ratio.

Are there small varieties of Plecos that I could put in this tank that won't get too big?

**Sigh**......I'm starting to wish I had a bigger tank :roll: .

Common bristlenose stay 5"-6", but a pair of otocinclus will do well and get only 1½" each.

Giving the dwarf gouramis some thought....one question on these, though--I thought I'd read somewhere that they need to be in pairs? Is that not necessarily the case?? Thanks!

They are ok by themselves. If you by two at your LFS you will get two males and there is a good chance you will have aggression.

Back
Top Bottom