How many Neon Tetras in a 55g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FiveSix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just wondering how many neons you guys would reccomend having in a 55g? The guy in the store told me 35, but he also told me to cycle with fish so his information is suspect. the tank will have just 5 dwarf corys and the neons. The local fish store actually has the dwarf corys!

of neons and coryadoras is all you are going to have, you could have around 40-45ish (maybe more) I would think. That will be one beautiful school of fish!

Last edited:
I agree, if you're not planning on anything else you could have quite a few, which IMO would be kind of cool. I wouldn't expect 40ish to be a problem at all.

That sounds really cool - that much color schooling and moving around would be awesome - I am also in agreement with about 40 neon

Is there going to be any live plants. Plants and neons are oh so pretty. eighter way pictures of that large of school of neons is a must. Good luck

Someone was trying to convince me to put 200 in my 125. lol that would've been crazy. I agree though, it's a cool idea.

It would definately be a while befor you noticed if you had lost any with that size of school it wound be hard to get a head count especially in a planted tank like yours neil.

Can you imagine me going into a LFS like petsmart.

Employee: "Can I help you find something?"
Me: "Yes, I'd like to get some neon tetras please"
Employee: "Great, how many would you like"
Me: "200, give or take"
Employee:
thud.gif

Being me, I would've had to have responded with
Me: "oh, could you bag those in groups of 5 or less please also?"

:ROFLMAO:

No there are not going to be any live plants. I have some silk fake plants and driftwood. I will be adding more plants when I can find some realistic enough.

Thanks for the replies :). I always liked the look of a large group of fish moving around together, it's just the coolest thing.

Well I have a few neons in there now about 13 and 5 dwarf corys. I was thinking about adding some otocinclus and maybe some of those ghost? Clear? shrimp. my tank is so peaceful i doubt they'd eat anything besides the little tiny snails i have that hitch-hiked in with the pottedplant i used to seed my tank.

not trying to be too technical, but i would like my tank to have all livestock from south american rivers. so, do the ottos and glass shrimp fit that category?

the ottos for sure do, but Im not 100% on the ghost shrimp...
well I just looked it up and no, ghost shrimp are native to the waters around Alaska and California...

As long as you are maintaining good water quality with proper water changes and such then several hundred in a 55 gallon tank would be a spectacular display, and it would afford you an opportunity to see behavior that you don't ordinarily see with just a dozen or so fish. Bill

I would go with between 50-60 neons mysef. A picture is definately a must when you get them all in there.

:cool:I'm working on it now, I Just did a water change last night and i think i'm going to bring in 5 more cory habrosus and 12 neon jumbos.. I'm working on photos for you guys, but i don't know how to use the camera that well, and it all just ends up a blur:eek:

!

Turn all the lights off around your tank so that all you have on is the tank lights and try to use a tripod or a steady surface, I take a lot of pics with a flash and without and see which ones I like better. The more you take the better you get.

That's really neat. That's going to be a pretty expensive stocking list though. haha. also, hopefully no diseases get introduced. I'd hate to see 50 neons floating at the top.

I used to breed my own neon tetras and would stock 55 gallon tanks with one thousand each till they went to the stores. Bill

Back
Top Bottom