How many of you move from little to big fish? Or trade fish in, etc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I started out with five Cory cats (who are still here), but I'm lucky enough to have a fish store who'll happily buy or take any fish (from me, at least) so I've been able to really explore the hobby and kept a huge amount of different fish. I have noticed myself gradually moving from small fish to big fish though. Anybody else?

I went from fish that would max out at 2.5" to last night, when I bought an Arowana that I intend to either:

Grow out in a 55 gallon and then sell/give back to the store. Maybe getting another baby one to grow at that point.

or

If we have our own house by then and I've put my huge tank plan into action, keep him and see how big he gets.

My first large fish was a common pleco. He grew from just 2-3" to 18". He was awesome. The largest tank I had at that point was the 55 gallon so I sold him back to the fish store and I regretted it ever since. He was a bit of a gourmet and had an awesome sense of smell... The instant the brine shrimp hit the water he would be up and grab it... He'd then just sink to the bottom sucking on it as he went... He seemed to prefer that to algae. ;) When I sold it to the fish store they said he was the bulkiest fish they'd ever seen, looked like pure muscle - I already knew that, I'd had to catch him and transport him there!

I still love the little fish, I had neons, Tiger Barbs, Guppies, but I'm sooo drawn to the big guys. Really enjoying Silver Dollars, Oscar, Synodontis catfish right now. I think another thing that draws me to keep trying new fish is because I love photography and I've taken pics of all my fish (haven't uploaded most of them to flickr yet, I'll get to that eventually) and trading in fish gives me new subjects... But there's some fish, the big fish, that I think I'll find a bit harder to let go of now. :)

Anybody else got bigger fish over the years? Or did you go the opposite way? Does anybody else trade their fish in?

I use to have just small fish I had a 10 gallon tank, can't really have large fish in there but with the horrible advice of a LFS telling me my leporinus would only reach about 4" I have discovered that owning large fish is much more of a joy. I needed to replace my 10 gallon when Frank reached 7" figuring he didn't look to happy in his small tank now he is happy and swims all around my 45 gallon tank which he is the boss. I also have 2 bala sharks and a columbian shark in there as well. (Frank's not to happy about the columbian)

Now we are planning on getting another tank for a brackish water community because stupid me didn't say no to my fiancée wanting the columbian who I didn't know needed a brackish water tank at the time because I never researched a columbian shark. Stupid me. I always research. Anyways, now we have a fish that will reach at least 12-14" with the longest being 24" and needing a brackish tank as it matures ughhh. I am kinda excited though mudskippers yey.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I started off with a 35g Freshwater community tank. Then i drifted towards saltwater and ended up with a 28g nano. Had it for 2 years loved it, but for some reason i just always thought predator tanks were so cool. I recently converted back to freshwater and bought a jaguar cichlid. I love him. Im planning to set my nano back up so i can have best of both worlds

I kept a Brackish tank with a Puffer but I'm too scared to go full marine at this point. I'm just worried about causing needless death to those guys! I need to fully understand it before I do it and it still feels overly complicated... Nothing I've read makes it sound as basic as it probably is though, freshwater sounded the same way before I did it myself.

Got some good photos of the Arowana today:
Flickr: T Wheatley's stuff tagged with silverarowana

This is my favorite:
Juvenile Silver Arowana | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

i had a puffer in my saltwater for a couple of months. i dont know much about switching them from brackish to marine? saltwater reefs are very fun to watch

Back
Top Bottom