How many plants are too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
In a 20 g. tank, how much should be planted. I understand that there should be a clear spot for swimming, but what about floating and so? I have a 10 that I want to also plant (betta tank) and want floating in there with a some planted. Thank you.

I don't think you can have too many plants ;-) . If you arrange your plants with tallest growing around the back & sides & they get shorter as yougo towards the front then your fish will have more than enough room. My floating plants, which I'm not having much luck with to get growing, tend to stay at the sides of the tank because of my filter.

I think your betta would love to have floating plants. It gives them some cover and it also gives them a place to rest near the surface of the water so they don't have to swim up and down all the time just to breathe.

I agree. In case you didn't know already, your rabbit snail (Tylomelania) may eat some of your plants. Some of mine do, some don't.

I have 95% substrate covering in plants now and I love it. The only time IMO you can have too many plants is if they are so thick they restrict fish movement and they actually crowd each other out for available light!

I think the strength of the lighting would affect how many plants he could keep too, doesn't it? (Just wingin it on this one)

My 20 gal planted is about half planted so my tetras at least have a little room to fly around. My 10 gal betta tank is a jungle.

I think the strength of the lighting would affect how many plants he could keep too, doesn't it? (Just wingin it on this one)

You can keep just as many low light plants in a low light tank as you could med/high plants in a high light tank.

Back
Top Bottom