How many platys do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crush

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

How many MALE platys will be happy together in a 10g tank? I know an all female tank would be better but I already have 3 males. What is your experience? Would 5 platys be too many? There are a number of forums that are confusing and contradicting since males are territorial but these are community fish.

For a longer explanation why I ask -

I had 3 white cloud minnows and 4 male platys in my 10g tank for ~4 months, no problems. Then one of the platys died - I could not diagnose him (nor could my LFS) but the other platys never developed any symptoms and have continued to look great.

HOWEVER, now one of my platys is a serious bully. I think the harmony was thrown off by going from 4 to 3. The smallest of the platys spends most of his day hiding from the bully, and will poke around the rocks only to be chased back into one of his spots.

I have debated taking the aggressive fish back to my LFS but I have also read that keeping them in larger groups, as they prefer, can stop the aggressive behavior. I worry though 4 or 5 males may just aggravate the bullying.

Back
Top Bottom