How many pounds of substrate for a 75 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The guideline is 1 lb per gal but it varies depending on what kind of substrate you are wanting.

Cool, I picked up 75 pounds of the darker pebbles for my aquarium. My first big tank, going to buy it tommorrow.

Nik

Jchillin said:
FF is correct, 1lb per gallon is a minimum

not true, i keep my gravel at a minimum i might have 15 lbs in my 55 gallon.

some of us dont need to plant aqua trees with 4" gravel, besides isn't it a pain to clean gravel that deep?

Why would it be anymore of a pain to clean 4" then 1"? God forbid you push the siphon down a bit further :roll:

hc8719 said:
Jchillin said:
FF is correct, 1lb per gallon is a minimum

not true, i keep my gravel at a minimum i might have 15 lbs in my 55 gallon.

some of us dont need to plant aqua trees with 4" gravel, besides isn't it a pain to clean gravel that deep?

Of course, that is your opinion right, I know of people who have bare bottom tanks, so you really don't need gravel, but that wasn't the question was it? The question was how much. Let's give people the correct advice before we give our unique variations.

No, it is not a pain to clean deeper gravel. I like the looks of tanks with a nice deep substrate (2.5" minimum) with "hills". Barebottom and barely-there-substrate just isn't appealing to me. But to each their own.

I have 100 pounds in my 110 tank. It may depend on the shape of the tank, too. A taller or hex tank might not need as much as a longer, shallower tank. I used to work in a pet shop and I was taught the 1 pound per gallon rule there. :)

So.. What's that in metric :) 120grams/litre...

I only put about 100g/l, and it is a bit low on gravel, but I add larger pebbles as well to make up for it.

I will soon be replacing my 72g substrate. I am planning 80-90lbs of Eco-Complete (planted tank)... I am going for a 3-inch depth.

i just got Flourite for my new 55g and 2 17lbs. bags made 1.5" bed.

and at 16 bucks each, you cant beat that.

jbarr said:
Why would it be anymore of a pain to clean 4" then 1"? God forbid you push the siphon down a bit further :roll:

Damage any plants in the area especially the roots if you have a heavily planted tank.

I use 2" of gravel in my tank. The suction power alone is enough to get all but the largest pieces from the very bottom of the gravel. For that I use airline tubing.

1lb per gallon is just about right. Some people like a thick substrate, others like barely any at all. Also depends on if you are using a large substrate, sand, fine gravel, etc. Lots of variables but the 1lb per gallon is kind of like the 1" per gallon rule for fish. Just a starting point.

jbarr said:

you dont always get all the junk out of the gravel when you have it really deep, with thin gravel no waste or food if left in there, and even if you do, you cant do the whole tank before your water drops to low, my experience jbarr

a 20 gal long is just as wide as a 29 gallon right? so the rule wouldn't work all the time for all people.

my tank is completely covered with gravel, no where close to being a bare bottom, possibly 20 lbs (maybe)

i have seen tanks where the bottom inch starts looking gross, and darker, but if you can upkeep it, thats fine.

I never had a problem doing a complete tank gravel vac before the water level got too low (when I had gravel substrate). You just have to watch how fast you have the siphon. Not difficult at all IME.

Back
Top Bottom