How many schools/shoals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeekLikeThat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are your thoughts on how many schools/shoals of fish should be in the same tank?

I've got room for more fish, but I have 3 schools of 6 fish already. Debating adding a 4th for variety or increasing the numbers of each of the 3 existing schools (which are bentos tetra, neon tetra, panda cory). Tank is a standard 55G.

How many schools is really up to personal preference once you've gotten at least 6 of each species. Lots of different schools tends to give a more chaotic feel to the tank, but allows you to enjoy a wider variety. Larger schools tend to give you more natural behaviors and interactions between the fish.

If the schools are on different levels of the tank it tends to work better. For example in my 75 gallon tank, I have a school of 13 dwarf chain loaches that race mostly around the bottom, a school of 9 cherry barbs that stay mostly in the middle (usually lower middle), a school of 12 threadfin rainbows that are all over the middle, and guppies (anywhere from 6-10) that usually stay upper-middle to top. It's a lot of variety, but it isn't quite as chaotic as if all 4 schools stayed mostly in the middle section.

Increase the schools you already have! 5-6 is a bare minimum for schooling species, and when you add above that, say 10 or more, the change in behavior is amazing!! Just a suggestion if you were concerned another species might be to much.

Thanks for the input. I'm concerned about the tank becoming too busy. I'm going to stick with three schools of larger numbers.

Back
Top Bottom