Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How many tiger barbs in a 36 gallon?

I've got a 36 gallon bow front aquarium that is going to be species specific to tiger barbs. It's already cycled, so don't worry about that. I'm just wondering how many tiger barbs would be a good number for my tank? I was thinking about going with 12 but I wanted some other opinions. Thanks =]

Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you are ONLY keeping tiger barbs and NO other fish, then 12-15.
tiger barbs get big, they are very fast and super active, and needs lots of swimming room. They also poop alot.

I once had 9 tiger barbs in a 40 gallon.
This seems like a small number, BUT they make the tank look small with their constant movement.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
In a 36 gallon ... you can easily keep 12 TigerBarbs, even a few more.... they are very active and get about 2-3 inches at most. If you do 12, I'd recommend 4 each of the regular, albino and Green TigerBarbs ... they would offer a nice color combination. Since they're just color variations of the same species, they'll shoal well together.

I don't think they poop any more than other fish ... but they are voracious eaters .. so they'll poop their fair share.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post
I don't think they poop any more than other fish ... but they are voracious eaters .. so they'll poop their fair share.
that was probably the cause.
They are always hungry.

I had white sand when I kept a tiger-barb species tank.
Within a week, the sand was covered with black
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble_B0y View Post
that was probably the cause.
They are always hungry.

I had white sand when I kept a tiger-barb species tank.
Within a week, the sand was covered with black
Yep ... TigerBarbs give the appearance they're always hungry. My guys can devour whatever I put in the tank in LESS than 1 minute. I used to feed twice daily every day, but for the last 3 months I do once a day 5 days a week. Their behavior is no different ... so if you cut down on the feeding you'll certainly have less poop

Tags
36 gallon, 6 gallon, barb, barbs, tiger, tiger barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com