How many Tiger Barbs in this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradicaljh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I have just bought a tank, 60cmL x 50cmH x 30cmW, has about 80 liters of water in it. I have 5 Tiger Barbs and two sucking catfish (Gyrinocheilus Aymonieri), all 5 barbs and both the catfish seem very happy in there.

My question is, how many tiger barbs can I have in this size tank? To be clear, I'm talking about adult size Tiger Barbs, in this tank permanently, what is a nice number? I know this question has been asked loads of times, but as my tank is higher than a standard 2 footer, I thought I'd ask just to make sure I know the right numbers for this tanks size.

Additionally, what sort of flow rate should I be getting (canister filter) for whatever number of barbs you recommend as a happy limit (currently have a small internal filter but am going to replace it with a canister).

Thanks in advance!

Sorry man...my math sux. That would be a 21 gallon tank? Right? With the amount of fish you already have, I would not have more than 7 to eight barbs and the suckers. What kinda filtration do u have?

yeah, 21 gallons is 80 liters, which is about what is in the tank.

I grabbed an internal 350lph filter when I got the tank but I'm liking the idea of a small canister (800lph) because of the extra flow and more media capacity.

I'm happy with the two catfish, I just really love the barbs so want to know the best number to keep in this tank, maybe I'll just go with 6?

With the canister filter's extra flow and media there wouldn't be a problem with 8. Even up to 10. I gotta 55 with 20 barbs, 10 of them tigers and the other 10 black fins, 2 snakefin gouramis and a gold, 4 panda cats, 4 pepper cats and 3 bristlenose plecos. I have two bio wheel HOB that filter 700 gallons an hour and a lotta live plants. If ur filters are great then you will be safe.

With the canister filter's extra flow and media there wouldn't be a problem with 8. Even up to 10. I gotta 55 with 20 barbs, 10 of them tigers and the other 10 black fins, 2 snakefin gouramis and a gold, 4 panda cats, 4 pepper cats and 3 bristlenose plecos. I have two bio wheel HOB that filter 700 gallons an hour and a lotta live plants. If ur filters are great then you will be safe.

Sounds like an awesome tank! I put some Java Moss in there yesterday, I'm hoping it does well as having a live plant in there will be good.

Bookmarked! That's an awesome tool, thanks!

Another thing, would keeping more than one type of barb in this tank be a good idea? With the first type being the tigers, not sure on the second type yet, just thinking about it now reading about buckfins barb setup :p

How large are the CAE now? They can grow up to 11" and as they grow they can become very territorial and aggressive. You probably could do about 8 barbs max; a 20 gal is a bit on the small side for them as they are active, a 30 gal would be better in the long-run and then you could add a few more.

My last reply is waiting moderation for some reason, may be that i did a multiquote.

The algae eaters are currently about 2.5 inches, two dudes at two different pet stores told me in this size tank they wouldn't get too big, I now have a feeling that was a douchey sales move. :facepalm:

I like having fish at the bottom of the tank, so I did some reading and it looks like a good species would be the dwarf pleco (Otocinclus).

If so, I'm thinking 6 tiger barbs and 3 or 4 of the otos would be good for this tank, thoughts?

Thanks.

U can mix and match the barbs. Like I said I have 20...10 Tigers and 10 Black Fin. Oto's are GREAT! I have 6 in my other tank. They do a hellish job on keeping algae growth down. The CAE's are ok, but like the above post said, they get big and aggressive. That is why I switched to the Oto's.

Back
Top Bottom