how much carbon do you use in a serving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
NOTE: if you dont use carbon, or hate it, please keep it to yourself...

im just curious, i have a tetra 60 filter in a 55 gal tank, and instead of buying filter cartridges, i just "make" my own. i never really thought about the right amount of carbon to use, until reading a thread in the getting started forum.

now my question is, how much carbon do you use at a time? I just tie come carbon in some fish netting and toss it in the filter, and change it every 30 days.

so is there a rule of thumb, this amount of carbon for every gallon, or you guys just go by, the more you put in, the more clean your water is?

i use about the same method you do. i never measure it, it's more how it fits in the stocking in the filter without causing back flow. but i run 2 hob's and do this in both, so it is a good amount of carbon.

Whenever I need carbon I have about 4 big mesh bags that I back to the max full of either carbon or zeolite...whichever I need in a jam...

I shuv as much as I can in there and cram the bags into the filter the best way I can.

works for me.

I'd say it depends on what you're using it for.
Are you trying to remove medications or driftwood tannins? Or are you just trying to keep the water clearby removing tapwater discoloration/odors?

http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/carbon.html
The link above recommends 100 ml (about 1/2 cup)per 30 gallons with monthly changes for general odor/discoloration.

If you're trying to remove meds or continuously leaching driftwood tannins, you would be better off with weekly changes.

how do you mods always find some published article, or informative page, precisely on what we need.

do you just google around, or remember every aquarium related page?

hc8719 said:
how do you mods always find some published article, or informative page, precisely on what we need.

do you just google around, or remember every aquarium related page?

LOL! Generally, I just google the topic. I also have some sites bookmarked because certain questions tend to come up time and time again. I've learned ALOT about aquariums beyond my own personal experience by looking into other members' questions. For example, I had no idea that carbon could have any effect on phosphate and pH.

Google and Wikipedia -- free information about ANYTHING at your fingertips!

Back
Top Bottom