How much filtration is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all - I've got a 29g tank with an Aquaclear 70. Still see some debris, even with occasional vacuuming. If I added another small Aquaclear, would that be too much? I have quite a few Endler's and shrimp, lots of plants as well. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi all - I've got a 29g tank with an Aquaclear 70. Still see some debris, even with occasional vacuuming. If I added another small Aquaclear, would that be too much? I have quite a few Endler's and shrimp, lots of plants as well. What do you think?

You should look into canister filters. I'd put an Eheim 2217 on that tank and call it a day :)

You should look into canister filters. I'd put an Eheim 2217 on that tank and call it a day :)

What's the advantages of a canister? I've heard they're difficult and expensive.

What's the advantages of a canister? I've heard they're difficult and expensive.

They do cost more but they're so much nicer than any HOB or undergavial filter. I use fluval 206 for my 20g and a fluval 306 for my 55g and they work wonders. Point the out take to the opposite corner as the intake and the current pushes all debris to the intake. And only need to clean it every couple months

Keep calm and drum on

They do cost more but they're so much nicer than any HOB or undergavial filter. I use fluval 206 for my 20g and a fluval 306 for my 55g and they work wonders. Point the out take to the opposite corner as the intake and the current pushes all debris to the intake. And only need to clean it every couple months

Keep calm and drum on

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it ASAP!

Looking into the Eheim now, seemed to get very good reviews on Amazon. What's your experience been with your filter? Are they easy to set up!

Looking into the Eheim now, seemed to get very good reviews on Amazon. What's your experience been with your filter? Are they easy to set up!

I was intimidated when I bought my first one. I'll be honest, the instructions kinda suck. Good thing is that you have access to many detailed youtube videos all about how to set them up, get them primed, maintenance and so on. It really isn't difficult, and honestly, they are so quiet that I have to look at the spraybar to make sure it's even on. There are several different types of canisters. Maybe others on here can share their experiences. You won't regret switching!

Last edited:
I was intimidated when I bought my first one. I'll be honest, the instructions kinda suck. Good thing is that you access to many detailed youtube videos all about how to set them up, get them primed, maintenance and so on. It really isn't difficult, and honestly, they are so quiet that I have to look at the spraybar to make sure it's even on. There are several different types of canisters. Maybe others on here can share their experiences. You won't regret switching!

Thanks, that's really good to know!

I love my Fluval 406. It is everything it is cracked up to be, water is crystal clear, but this week was my first 3 month cleaning maintenance. The manual calls for cleaning and lubricating the gaskets on the AquaStop valve. I have no idea where these gaskets are located since there is no diagram of the AquaStop in the manual. Also, when you try to remove the AquaStop valve water come syphoning out of the tank through the ribbed hoses. I thought that might be the case, so I had a bucket underneath. Can you perhaps explain where these gaskets are, and is there a way to remove the valve without taking down the hoses and clamps?

I love my Fluval 406. It is everything it is cracked up to be, water is crystal clear, but this week was my first 3 month cleaning maintenance. The manual calls for cleaning and lubricating the gaskets on the AquaStop valve. I have no idea where these gaskets are located since there is no diagram of the AquaStop in the manual. Also, when you try to remove the AquaStop valve water come syphoning out of the tank through the ribbed hoses. I thought that might be the case, so I had a bucket underneath. Can you perhaps explain where these gaskets are, and is there a way to remove the valve without taking down the hoses and clamps?

Aquastop is the black piece on the top with the gray and red leavers. From what I can gather just apply lube to the cylinder in the middle and move the leavers to help it spread. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436139527.458910.jpg

Keep calm and drum on

Canisters are nice, but having owned a number of different canisters and hobs i will take a hob filter over a canister every time.

Most of the statements about a canister filter are overstated, a good hob can do everything a canister can.

What do you define as a little debris? Is stuff collecting in a specific area or is there debris in the water column?

I know the aquastop valve. My question was "what are the gaskets on the aquastop valve.
Also how do you clean them?

Canisters are nice, but having owned a number of different canisters and hobs i will take a hob filter over a canister every time.

Most of the statements about a canister filter are overstated, a good hob can do everything a canister can.

What do you define as a little debris? Is stuff collecting in a specific area or is there debris in the water column?
^^THIS^^
For the last 35 + years.
Aquaclear!!!!
A simple powerhead or koralia will move water and debris for you.
You will NEVER have more BB then you need so you don't need more if your fish are good?
Many if not all salties know there is a difference between circulation and filter flow.
Sounds to me like you have circulation problem not filter problem.
You will save money,time and get better results if you increase circulation IMO.
Just blow the crap back into the water column where the filter can get it.
If it settles then it settles in a dead spot????

Well, there's some debris in the water column which then collects on plants. I try to stay on top of replacing filter media, and cleaning but there still seems to be some amount of yuk. I don't over feed and do my weekly 40% water changes. I don't know what to do but trying a stronger filter, kinda at a loss right now.

Well, there's some debris in the water column which then collects on plants. I try to stay on top of replacing filter media, and cleaning but there still seems to be some amount of yuk. I don't over feed and do my weekly 40% water changes. I don't know what to do but trying a stronger filter, kinda at a loss right now.

I offered you your answer 1 minute before you posted and hope you don't miss it(why I post again).!
Look into a hydor/jeboa wavemaker or simple powerhead and save money, time and be happy!

Try some filter floss. Polyester pillow batting thar can be bought from wal mart for very cheap. Aquarium stores carry the same thing marketed as filter floss for 10x as much money.

A small power head to supplement flow will help keep stuff from settling on plants.

What filter media are you replacing?

^^THIS^^
For the last 35 + years.
Aquaclear!!!!
A simple powerhead or koralia will move water and debris for you.
You will NEVER have more BB then you need so you don't need more if your fish are good?
Many if not all salties know there is a difference between circulation and filter flow.
Sounds to me like you have circulation problem not filter problem.
You will save money,time and get better results if you increase circulation IMO.
Just blow the crap back into the water column where the filter can get it.
If it settles then it settles in a dead spot????

There seems to be a lot of different opinions about HOB's vs. canister filters. Can anyone lead me to a site where I might find a pro/con list, or give me their own thoughts?

Canisters are generally quieter, though the Aquaclear series is very quiet (have owned several and currently run a AC30 on my 10 gallon QT).

HOBs should be cleaned weekly. Canisters need cleaning less often but there is more to clean. I clean my canister (Fluval 206) once a month.

HOBs hold less media and many use cartridges or specialized media. Canisters hold more media and are often more flexible as to media selection.

Those are the main pros and cons I see. You won't really know until you try it yourself. Oh, one last one, generally HOBs cost less than canisters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom