How much gravel should I put in this tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minabug

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm working on redoing a 55 gallon aquarium at an elementary school. I bought an undergravel filter for it. So my question is how many pounds of gravel do I need for this tank? I was told two 25 pound bags, then I was also told to put an inch and a half of gravel per gallon of the tank size (that sounds way off lol).

Can someone please help me with this? I want to know the true amount of pounds of gravel that I really need.

Thanks so much! :fish1:

Minabug said:
I'm working on redoing a 55 gallon aquarium at an elementary school. I bought an undergravel filter for it. So my question is how many pounds of gravel do I need for this tank? I was told two 25 pound bags, then I was also told to put an inch and a half of gravel per gallon of the tank size (that sounds way off lol).

Can someone please help me with this? I want to know the true amount of pounds of gravel that I really need.

Thanks so much! :fish1:

Lol then your aquarium would be nothing but Substrate

Lol then your aquarium would be nothing but Substrate

My thought exactly. I just want to know the proper amount of gravel to put in this tank. Every single pet store I call tells me something different and we have no just aquarium stores around here.

Thank you! So even if it's 55 gallon, would just two 25 pound bags be okay? I'm working on this tank using a school budget and the previous caretaker of the tank left it unattended for months upon months so all the fish died and the heater, filter, and everything else in this tank was totally shot and had to be thrown away. I had to buy everything brand new for this tank and I'm down to just needing gravel for it.

Great, thank you so much. Maybe once I have this tank fully up and running and cycled I can post some pictures.

And please teach the kids about cycling! Lol.

haha that'd be funny to do. They had a tank with so many fish and the caretaker of it (Grown adult for that matter) left it unattended for months. He said he was having 'family issues'. It doesn't take but a few minutes to come clean out a filter. He killed so many fish. The tank water was literally green and black, the gravel was nothing but black. The filter was so messed up with thick black sludge and god knows what else. The school wanted to do away with it and make it a trophy cabinet instead but I talked them into keeping it. The poor little kids were walking by it everyday asking what happened to the fish and really missing them. I'm working on a VERY limited budget. I only have about $50 with the school budget to get gravel and fish. So after gravel I'll have about $20 to work with for fish. It'll end up being not many fish at first but after awhile I'll add some more to it on my own. :fish2:

I've never heard of pea gravel. I was looking for something bright and colorful since it's for an elementary school.

I'd be too afraid to do sand in the tank, I'm new to fish keeping such a big tank and wouldn't want to mess it up.

Did find alot of deals though. Got a kiddy looking decoration at Walmart for $2.50, regular $11.

Think it'd be safe to get pea gravel and get a small bag of colorful gravel and mix it all together to add a bit of color to it?

I never even thought of using other gravel, I just thought of only being able to use aquarium gravel.

If you buy something other than somthing packaged specifically for aquariums make sure you clean and rinse it thoroughly to make sure something harmful doesnt get introduced into the tank.

If you use the pea gravel and other smaller substrate you could also start putting live plants in it depending on the lighting. I know how tight school budgets can be so this may not be available for a while, but a few low-light inexpensive plants like anacharis can sometimes grow quickly enough to be able to take cuttings and replant them. This just looks better IMO, gives the fish something to swim in plus gives the kids something interesting to look at and learn about.:fish2:

If budgeting is a problem then one option, if the school allows, would be to make this a class project. Many times you can get parents to help supply something like this using things they have and are not using and are willing to donate. If you have parents with aquarium experience, they may even volunteer to help.

One way to look at it is: You will be teaching the kids about the scientific aspects of raising fish plus training the next generation of aquarists! :fish1:

Retired_AF said:
If you buy something other than somthing packaged specifically for aquariums make sure you clean and rinse it thoroughly to make sure something harmful doesnt get introduced into the tank.

If you use the pea gravel and other smaller substrate you could also start putting live plants in it depending on the lighting. I know how tight school budgets can be so this may not be available for a while, but a few low-light inexpensive plants like anacharis can sometimes grow quickly enough to be able to take cuttings and replant them. This just looks better IMO, gives the fish something to swim in plus gives the kids something interesting to look at and learn about.:fish2:

If budgeting is a problem then one option, if the school allows, would be to make this a class project. Many times you can get parents to help supply something like this using things they have and are not using and are willing to donate. If you have parents with aquarium experience, they may even volunteer to help.

One way to look at it is: You will be teaching the kids about the scientific aspects of raising fish plus training the next generation of aquarists! :fish1:

The kids would probably like something a bit less natural. That's just how an elementary kids mind works lol. My little sis is the same way.

Back
Top Bottom