How much peat does it take to turn the water yellow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicki Gaga

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've added 200g of Irish peat moss to my 24 gallon aquarium filter and my tank is still clear, not really a piece of tannins seen. I don't have carbon in the filter so I don't know what's wrong. The reason why I'm doing this is because I want to make a blackwater tank using bogwood and peat moss.

Add dried hardwood leaves and Mopani DW, that will change the color of the water.

If you have a filter pad in a HOB filter, chances are it has Carbon in it. How old is your filter pad?

I don't have carbon in the filter, but I do have a nitrate sponge, a course sponge and polywool in it. They've been there for many months now, besides the polywool, which I changed regularly.

When I had peat in my filter, it didnt really change the color of my water. It did, however, leave a fine layer of "dust" on all my plants and rocks (which is the main reason I removed it).

When I had peat in my filter, it didnt really change the color of my water. It did, however, leave a fine layer of "dust" on all my plants and rocks (which is the main reason I removed it).

Oh and NOW you tell me! That's the only thing it did to my tank too! It just left loads of dust particles everywhere and just made the water cloudy it didn't turn it yellow or whatever.

Peat is supposed to help lower the pH of the water. I have a really high KH though, so it didn't really have much effect for me. Another reason I took it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you think bogwood would do a better job at doing it? And did you still manage to bring your pH down and how? Or would autumn leaves do a better job than peat?

Do you think bogwood would do a better job at doing it? And did you still manage to bring your pH down and how? Or would autumn leaves do a better job than peat?

I would do both. Just go outside to somewhere that isn't treated by chemicals and grab a handful of leaves from a hardwood tree. Bring em inside and drop them in.

Back
Top Bottom