How much salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pauls Aquariums

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, so i got a brackish tanks set up, its doin great. i just wanted to get an idea about how much salt per gallon people use. ive looked around and i add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. my SG is at about 1.008

Well, I don't have brackish and am speaking from limited knowledge, but..... if you see 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, chances are it's not referring to a brackish tank. Some people use that amount with their freshwater fish, most often to help cure disease. A true brackish tank has 2 teaspoons salt per gallon for a salinity of 1.015.

Again, I don't have brackish, but I believe that's good information. I would wait on someone with hands on experience to chime in to confirm it, though.

Premix the water in your bucket and figure it out. Its the best practice because marine salt does not mix instantly. Better yet, get a small Brute trashcan and premix the water with a circulation pump and heater. Keep it as a reservoir because you might have to do a water change unexpectedly.

You are required to do 50% water changes with the fish you own (assuming they are kept properly).

Back
Top Bottom