how much special care for GBRs/bolivans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
while i had seen LWBs and other members GBR and bolivan rams, i had always thought they were ok looking until i recently saw my lfs has GBRs ($6.99) and bolivans (3.99)

the owner told me, my 55 gallon tank would be too busy, and that them just seeing larger (even peaceful moonlight gouramis) would be enough stress to kill them.

1. but i do have a 20 gallon set aside, with a small BGK (just until i get my 125, he was dying at another lfs). would the GBRs/bolivians be ok in this, i hear they need about 20-30 gallons.

2. i'd only get one mated pair, probably GBRs, (bolivians just seem too pale). does it matter what male and female i get, will they mate regardless, or are they picky when choosing mates?

3. do they really need special care? i keep the 20 gallon clean.

hc8719 said:
while i had seen LWBs and other members GBR and bolivan rams, i had always thought they were ok looking until i recently saw my lfs has GBRs ($6.99) and bolivans (3.99)

the owner told me, my 55 gallon tank would be too busy, and that them just seeing larger (even peaceful moonlight gouramis) would be enough stress to kill them.

1. but i do have a 20 gallon set aside, with a small BGK (just until i get my 125, he was dying at another lfs). would the GBRs/bolivians be ok in this, i hear they need about 20-30 gallons.

2. i'd only get one mated pair, probably GBRs, (bolivians just seem too pale). does it matter what male and female i get, will they mate regardless, or are they picky when choosing mates?

3. do they really need special care? i keep the 20 gallon clean.
1. i think they will be fine in you 55, check out my info to see what fish i keep with my GBR and Bolivians...

2. if you get them young they should be ok, but older GBR may have already pair bonded and they tend to mate for life ime...

3. wild caught are much more sensitive... if you get tank bread gbr and you keep you tank clean and the params in order they should be fine imo

I think GBR's also bond for life. My brother just got a third GBR, a female to try and spread out any agression shown by the male. However the female didn't like this 'new woman' and chases her away whilst the male does nothing, it's almost human like! :lol:

GBR's do pair for life most of the time. They will be okay in a 20 gallon tank. You could/may want to buy about 4 of them (6 would be ideal but not really for a 20 gallon tank) so that can "choose" their mates. Get 2 males and 2 females. A male and a female won't necessarily pair up just because they are in the same tank. More GBR's in the tank means more chance of forming a pair. I currently have 8 GBR's (4 spawning pairs) in my 55 gallon tank, along with 2 BN plecos, 4 danios, 5 glo-light tetras, and 5 ottos. I think they would be okay in your 55 gallon tank as they seem to hold their own pretty well.

That guy has no idea what he is talking about! GBR's are not afraid of anything.....especially when they spawn. LOL I think that they would be fine in your 55. Get a couple of fish and let them pair up naturally and then you can move the couple to a 20 and let them get busy.

I started with 2 females and 1 male in my 55 and the male chose the girl he wanted and they BOTH relentlessly chased the other female so, I had to move her to my 29. My couple has since produced several batches of fry. I don't do anything special other than feed a variety of food, and do my PWC's every week.

Back
Top Bottom