Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

How much wood is too much?

Hi all

I am currently setting up a 48x15x24 tank and would like opinions on wood.

I have two large pieces, one approx 25 long, 23 high and 10 deep and the other approx 27 long, 12 high and 12 deep.

These are to be the background pieces when my OCD just lets me LEAVE THEM IN ONE PLACE AND LET IT BE!!

As a reptile and (less so) of a fish keeper for many years, as you would expect I have MANY pieces of bogwood, vine root etc that I just couldn't throw away (come on, anyone here who has been doing this a long time probably has more wood in boxes in their loft/shed than in the furniture in their house, right? )

Now many of the pieces I have are quite small (spider tanks) or larger but quite spindly for climbing snakes (green tree pythons and emerald tree boas).

So to the question.

Do I try to use as much as possible trying to create a gymkhana for the fish (looking at discus and ghost knife or leaf fish, maybe some tetras and a few cleaners) so a mangrovey type look would not be out of place or do I keep it simple?

Most pieces are only of a size to lie on the ground

I would be looking at fairly heavy planting, at least along the sides and back that may be good at disguising the 'woodiness' of the set-up.

I am mostly of the opinion that if I can't see the fish straight away and they don't see me they are likely to be happier at the lack of disturbance (yes, I am the guy who spends hours staring into a pen at the zoo before spotting the 'closed for maintenance sign!!).

So give me your thoughts, do you load with cordwood or do you like a clean swim area?

If you can provide pics of your heavily wooded tanks (if you have any) it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Old 09-15-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some ppl on here might offer different opinions, but i have quite a bit of wood in my discus tank. Some I fastened to be upright, others laying down. I like that look as well. I would say as long as it's safe wood, hard type that doesn't decompose or leach harsh stuff in the water, go for it. Like I said, I'm by no means an expert, just my opinion. Also, be aware that if your tank is say, 200 liters, and you fill it up with decor, you may realistically only have a 120L tank.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebankston View Post
Some ppl on here might offer different opinions, but i have quite a bit of wood in my discus tank. Some I fastened to be upright, others laying down. I like that look as well. I would say as long as it's safe wood, hard type that doesn't decompose or leach harsh stuff in the water, go for it. Like I said, I'm by no means an expert, just my opinion. Also, be aware that if your tank is say, 200 liters, and you fill it up with decor, you may realistically only have a 120L tank.
Thanks, I am not planning on having that may fish in there to be honest (maybe 4 discus, the same leaf, small shoal of tetra) so shouldn't be overloaded.

|Does make me wonder why it is Eheim called it the 450L as that suggests the litres, unless they are including the space in the cabinet LOL.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Haha! All the manufacturers' inflate imo

Tags
wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com