How often do you test water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank has completed the cycling process and I was wondering how often you guys tested your cycled water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc? Since a cycling tank is all I have ever known so far I am used to testing it everyday, but now I can relax a little. So what do you experts recommend? Every week, two weeks, month, every other day? Thanks!!

You can be safe, and test a couple days after you add anything to get a feel for the toxification (if thats a word) rate. But once you are stocked, and know what your water change schedule is you dont really have to test. I have tested less then 5 times in the last 1-1.5.

Once a month I guess for the whole lot but as mentioned mostly after I've changed something. Kh I test about once a week as quite soft water.

Yep, infrequently once well-established but that's after the tank is fully stocked and I'm certain that my water change schedule is keeping levels where they ought to be. Up until then, I test weekly. I will also test if a fish acts off at all to be sure it isn't a water quality issue, if there is a loss, and prior to any addition.

I've been testing about twice a week, but mainly just checking PH because my tap is pretty soft. I added crushed coral to my filter so I've checked it several times this past week.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'll know once you get cycled, keep up with your water changes and not mess with the filter that you won't really need to check anything but if you suspect something, or have out of the ordinary tap water by all means check it.

You'll know once you get cycled, keep up with your water changes and not mess with the filter that you won't really need to check anything but if you suspect something, or have out of the ordinary tap water by all means check it.

I have the filter cartridges and was told to change it every month. Do I never change it then? It is made by Fluval if that matters

I have the filter cartridges and was told to change it every month. Do I never change it then? It is made by Fluval if that matters

If they're cartridges with activated carbon in them, that's why it's telling you to change monthly. The carbon becomes inert after around that long and will no longer suck up any odors or impurities. If you want to run carbon constantly, then yes, you need to change it.

Carbon is not mandatory to run constantly, so your alternative is to leave the cartridge in, rinse it regularly in tank water, and then only replace it when it's falling apart. Personally I only run carbon when I've added fresh driftwood or need to remove medications after a treatment round is completed. Weekly water changes do a better job at keeping the tank clean than replacing a carbon filter will, and it's usually cheaper as well.

When I replace the cartridges, I don't want to lose all of the beneficial bacteria in the old one. How can I prevent this from happening?

You can leave the old media in the filter behind the new media for a week or two.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I replace the cartridges, I don't want to lose all of the beneficial bacteria in the old one. How can I prevent this from happening?

Bacterial grows throughout the filter housing, the tank walls, and substrate, not just in the filter cartridge. You'll lose some bacteria, but there should be enough that you'll be fine. Keeping the old cartridge in the filter behind the new one (if there's room) for a week or two is a great option too.

Back
Top Bottom