Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How often should I change the tank water?

I have a ten gallon with one silver lyre tail molly(male) and a red wagtail platy(male). I have had them for about a week, and I want to know how often I should change the tank water, and how much water I should take out when I clean the tank.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

A 25% waterchange once a week should be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ
Koopamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but a molly will not thrive in a 10 gallon tank. They get far too big. Instead you could gets small school of white clouds.

Also, the above poster is correct. And if you have gravel, be sure to get a gravel vacuum.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You are going to get a WIDE range of responses on this question. On this forum I've seen everything from you don't ever have too to 100% weekly. I don't know where some of these folks have gotten their information. The correct answer is you need to change as much as it takes to keep your nitrates at a safe level, most hobbyist will tell you 10-20 ppm.

That said, do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Do you know what it means to cycle a tank? A properly cycled tank will have 0 ammonia and nitrite and some measurable amount of nitrate. Take a look at this article and let us know if you have any questions.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Old 10-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank's get a 50 % clean every 5 days. I agree with keeping your nitrate levels down between 10-20. Definitely get a liquid test kit so you can keep an eye on your parameters.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellyx View Post
My tank's get a 50 % clean every 5 days. I agree with keeping your nitrate levels down between 10-20. Definitely get a liquid test kit so you can keep an eye on your parameters.
Yep the strips are stupid lol. Also, I would get some live plants. They cut down nitrate levels.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 View Post
Yep the strips are stupid lol. Also, I would get some live plants. They cut down nitrate levels.
Live plants are a good idea too, definitely need to look at the stock I'm afraid I totally agree the molly isn't suitable.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Twice a week for me. Take out around 20% to 30% each time. Usually do it on Monday's and Thursday's.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
You are going to get a WIDE range of responses on this question. On this forum I've seen everything from you don't ever have too to 100% weekly. I don't know where some of these folks have gotten their information. The correct answer is you need to change as much as it takes to keep your nitrates at a safe level, most hobbyist will tell you 10-20 ppm.

That said, do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? Do you know what it means to cycle a tank? A properly cycled tank will have 0 ammonia and nitrite and some measurable amount of nitrate. Take a look at this article and let us know if you have any questions.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Exactly. You definitely need to get a good test kit. It is one of the most important things to have. My advice get the api matter kit.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've been doing 50% WC's on my tanks weekly for over 30 years. I never have to worry about nitrates building up or any other toxins. Even in my heavily planted tanks that never get the substrate vacuumed doing a 50% weekly WC keeps all my levels low. My 220g runs at between 5-10ppms of nitrates weekly doing a 50% WC on it. Plus the tank has a high bio-load and gets fed heavily due to the amount and different types of fish. Not saying a smaller WC amount is wrong at all, just saying a 50% WC will ensure you always have pristine water conditions.

Tags
ate, change, tan, tank, ten, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com