How often should I perform water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I vacuum all my planted tanks, just don't do a deep vac around plants with "delicate" roots. To me rotting organics feed algae more than they feed plants... Just my opinion. Heck I even vacuum my MC, HC and glosso carpets... So much junk settles out underneath the "canopy" of the carpet.

With other plants I'll put the siphon over the substrate and swirl it around to kick up mulm and remove it.
Great idea. I do the same. There are times when I see blobs of fish waste hiding around plants and ornament rocks. Much cleaner way to do water changes and keeps substrate sand from crusting (I only have a school of pygmy corys that don't dig in the sand).

Great idea. I do the same. There are times when I see blobs of fish waste hiding around plants and ornament rocks. Much cleaner way to do water changes and keeps substrate sand from crusting (I only have a school of pygmy corys that don't dig in the sand).
I'd also like to add that I don't change more than 1/4 of my water at a time once a week because my fish load is not very high. My 55 gallon tank has 4 angel fish, 1 male betta, a small school of 4 pygmy corys, and 5 redeye tetras. I could get away with nearly twice that fish load, but then the water changes would have to be greater and more often. Fish load makes a big difference. A nicely decorated tank doesn't need a lot of fish to be complete. Having just a few pretty fish that will create movement in the tank can be beautiful and soothing to watch.

IMO, BB' s theory of very large weekly WC's, minus gravel vacs is a great method of water management for the vast majority of fish keepers.
For those who have plantless, large to enormous tanks, keeping really big waste producing
Fish, 75% + WC's are usually not plausible or might not even be economicly feasible.
My largest tank is only a 120 Gal. I change out 50% of the water a week, the old fashion 5 gal.
bucket & syphon method. Keeps me in good shape. Lol. I vacuum every inch of my 3" gravel bed, as thoroughly as I can. Although I feed carefully, the amount of gunk I remove from the gravel is astonishing. I believe the gravel vacs reduce the ever present populations of parasites and harmful bacteria.
It seems that most aquagardens are maintained in tanks of less than 75 gal. Probably due to the advanced lighting and chemical requirements. In those rare instances where the planted tank is a large one, BB' s noted water management theory would likely work very well.

I'd also like to add that I don't change more than 1/4 of my water at a time once a week because my fish load is not very high. My 55 gallon tank has 4 angel fish, 1 male betta, a small school of 4 pygmy corys, and 5 redeye tetras. I could get away with nearly twice that fish load, but then the water changes would have to be greater and more often. Fish load makes a big difference. A nicely decorated tank doesn't need a lot of fish to be complete. Having just a few pretty fish that will create movement in the tank can be beautiful and soothing to watch.
There are other chemicals that can build up in the water too that can cause health problems for fish. One in particular that a lot of aquarium keepers don't know about is the pheromones produced by dominant fish.

There are other chemicals that can build up in the water too that can cause health problems for fish. One in particular that a lot of aquarium keepers don't know about is the pheromones produced by dominant fish.

Interesting that you mention pheromones. I read an article (wish I had the link) that stated that changing TOO much water can upset the pecking order, leading to infighting.
In my Planted tank I did not vacuum, however, prior to water changes I used jets of water to dislodge physical waste from the vegetation.

Interesting that you mention pheromones. I read an article (wish I had the link) that stated that changing TOO much water can upset the pecking order, leading to infighting.
In my Planted tank I did not vacuum, however, prior to water changes I used jets of water to dislodge physical waste from the vegetation.
I'm glad you mentioned pheromones. I just started a new product that not only conditions water, but detoxifies pheromones. My angel fish have been fighting like violent dogs ever since. Changing back to Aqueon.

I have 125 gallon tank with 9 juvenile cichlids and 2 plecos. I have 2 marineland emperor 400 filters. How often should I perform water changes?
For now, you can probably change 50% once a month with such a sparse stock and large water volume. Changing water more frequently won't hurt, but it'll get old quicker than monthly and increasing frequency as needed to match your fish growth. Just test your nitrates before each change and you'll know. Keep them below 50 at the change and you'll be fine with 99% of fish out there.

May have been asked- what kind of cichlids?

For now, you can probably change 50% once a month with such a sparse stock and large water volume. Changing water more frequently won't hurt, but it'll get old quicker than monthly and increasing frequency as needed to match your fish growth. Just test your nitrates before each change and you'll know. Keep them below 50 at the change and you'll be fine with 99% of fish out there.

May have been asked- what kind of cichlids?
I have a variety of cichlids. A jewel. A Johanni. Firemouth. A jaguar. A couple jack Dempsey. And a few others I'm not sure what the names are

T-money
As one cichlid keeper to another I've got to say "Slow Down". I just read your partial stock list. What initially caught my eye was "Jaguar Cichlid". If you're talking Parachromis Managuensis, are you aware of the killer demeanor and huge size this species can attain, even in a home aquarium. You'll be surprised how small, and at the same time relatively empty your 125 g.
tank will be within a year.
Don't get me wrong, the Jaguar Cichlid is a stunning fish and your 125 gal. Would be a sufficient minimum size for a male & female. It also might work with one Jaguar, one JD, maybe one Green Terror and a couple of male Firemouths. Note: two male JD' s in a tank will mean death for the weaker Jack.
As for the Jewell and other African Cichlids, sooner or later they likely will be bait fish for the Jag. Don't take my advice the wrong way, I only want to help.

T-money
As one cichlid keeper to another I've got to say "Slow Down". I just read your partial stock list. What initially caught my eye was "Jaguar Cichlid". If you're talking Parachromis Managuensis, are you aware of the killer demeanor and huge size this species can attain, even in a home aquarium. You'll be surprised how small, and at the same time relatively empty your 125 g.
tank will be within a year.
Don't get me wrong, the Jaguar Cichlid is a stunning fish and your 125 gal. Would be a sufficient minimum size for a male & female. It also might work with one Jaguar, one JD, maybe one Green Terror and a couple of male Firemouths. Note: two male JD' s in a tank will mean death for the weaker Jack.
As for the Jewell and other African Cichlids, sooner or later they likely will be bait fish for the Jag. Don't take my advice the wrong way, I only want to help.
Thanks for the advice. I'll move them to a separate tank. The last thing I want is to kill any of my fish. I've quickly grown attached to them.

In my early fish keeping days, I bought so many fish that either quickly outgrew my tanks or had the capability of consuming every living thing stocked. In particular, Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish, Red Tail Catfish and a Pacu. No internet in those days to research. I brought many back to the LFS.
I think the Jaguar Cichlid is one of coolest fish in the hobby. If you can raise one to adulthood, along with keeping some sturdy tankmates alive, you will have accomplished a lot.(y)

In my early fish keeping days, I bought so many fish that either quickly outgrew my tanks or had the capability of consuming every living thing stocked. In particular, Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish, Red Tail Catfish and a Pacu. No internet in those days to research. I brought many back to the LFS.
I think the Jaguar Cichlid is one of coolest fish in the hobby. If you can raise one to adulthood, along with keeping some sturdy tankmates alive, you will have accomplished a lot.(y)
I'm a novice to this so I keep a 55 gallon tank for the fish either get too big or are too aggressive. I will keep an eye on them and as they get bigger I will move them around

Back
Top Bottom